Post who you're a fan of!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Post by Guest »

Nekrophidius wrote:I code games. Why? Because I have to. You don't write word processors for a game console.
But then, coding for a dead console moves away from "have to" and into "want to", making that point work against you.

:mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

I code in neither...
you've never coded in fb? :shock: :?
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

@ Nek: Come on? What about the inside of the house? You have to have a sertian style you prefer in there right? Or would like it to be? And whats the point to a "Have To" life? You mean to say you have no feelings of any sort? :P
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I'm lost...
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Nathan1993 wrote:I'm lost...
You haven't been on any Oceanantic flights lately, have you?
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Now I am even more lost...
The Walrus
Veteran

Post by The Walrus »

Steve wrote:I'm a fan of Todd, Jacobpalm, Pete...
Hurray, I have a fan :P
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain walruses?
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Nathan1993 wrote:Now I am even more lost...
The TV show Lost? Survivers Oceanantic flight 815, lost on this mystical island? :lol:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Deleter wrote:Here's a question Nek, why do you have to program for that console?
Because it's the only console out there with three major points:

1. Easy distribution of media that runs on actual hardware without modification
2. A massive retro scene with fanatics all around the world chomping at the bit for new games, and willing to pay big bucks for them too
3. Out of all the retro consoles, it's the only one that isn't severely hampered by imposed limitations of lame-brained engineers

You have to do mods to program on almost other CD-based consoles to get anything to work, which limits your credibility as well as your target audience. Of course, you could always work with the Sega CD...one of the shittiest consoles ever made (64 colours? Do you know how much of a colour-scramble and over-dithered mess this crap is? I do...), or the Neo Geo CD (which hardly anyone owns), or the Jaguar CD (again, which hardly anyone owns). Coding for the Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, or X-box requires hardware modification, and coding for cartridge-based systems is utterly useless unless you can produce actual game cartridges...which you can't.

Hey Guest, who are you? Posting anonymously invalidates your points, you know. :P Of course I've coded in FB...who do you think wrote most of the win32 API headers? Me. :D And this console is far from dead...when people still support something, it isn't ever dead, and in fact, this console tends to go for hundreds of dollars on ebay nowadays. Rare games for it can reach several hundred dollars, and prototype games go into the thousands.

Rattrapmax6: the house is set up the way my wife likes it. Why? Because she's the woman, and the woman makes the rules. Don't try to push the point further because you're going out of the scope of the original thought of this thread. :) No feelings? I don't know where that one came from...
Deleter
Veteran

Post by Deleter »

When I said why do you have to code for that console, I didn't mean the specific one, I meant why do you HAVE to code for a console at all?
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Nekrophidius wrote:No feelings? I don't know where that one came from...
If every thing you do is a have to, and nothing you do requires any interest, its like describing yourself as numb of feelings, or 4 better words, numb of interests,... We might, tho, be mixing up the definitions of fans:

Fan(1): Mechanical or manual device used to move air..

Fan(2): Having interest in something or someone (e.i. I'm a big fan of cars) <- What I'm thinking

Fan(3): A person or object of worship, ect (e.i. The common person that freaks when they see a Star: Runs and begs for and autograph: Then pass-out if the Star just speaks to them)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Deleter wrote:When I said why do you have to code for that console, I didn't mean the specific one, I meant why do you HAVE to code for a console at all?
Because my PC coding days are long over.
matt2jones
Veteran

Post by matt2jones »

Ahhh... exercises in futility :roll:

m2j
Do not mistake Apathy for feeling Content.

http://www.disjointed.cjb.net - Short Storys
http://matt2jones.deviantart.com - Random Art
http://www.freewebs.com/matt2jones - WebComic
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

What cosole ARE you talking about???
Deleter
Veteran

Post by Deleter »

Nekrophidius wrote:
Deleter wrote:When I said why do you have to code for that console, I didn't mean the specific one, I meant why do you HAVE to code for a console at all?
Because my PC coding days are long over.
why do you have to code at all?
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Deleter wrote:why do you have to code at all?
Because it's the only thing I can do with any proficiency. Plus, people like my work, so it only makes sense to provide them with more of it. Make sense? And now we're getting WAY off topic.
jb

Post by jb »

Of course, you could always work with the Sega CD...one of the shittiest consoles ever made (64 colours? Do you know how much of a colour-scramble and over-dithered mess this crap is? I do...)
Nek, don't give crap to the Sega CD. It, or at least the Genesis part of of it, kicked the turboGFX16's ASS.

Actually, I dont even know what the turboGFX16 is, as it wasn't even released in Australia. But, anyway, while the Sega CD technically only had 64 colours, some coding teams got 128 and 256 colours using various unconventional techniques. And when you add the 32x, the SegaCD had 32 thousand colours.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

You realize that you just completely contradicted yourself and made yourself sound like a clueless jackass? :D "It kicked the other thing's ass! But I don't even know what the other thing was! Wheeeeeeeee"

No coding team ever got 128 or 256 colours out of the Genesis hardware. It wasn't possible and has been rumoured for years with no solid proof ever being given...no screenshots, no developer comments, no nothing. Rumours about it having a HAM (Hold And Modify) mode have gone unproven. The only way they were able to fool people is to dither the fork out of the games. And you can sing the praises of the 32x all you want...even the designers of the 32x admit that it was a miserable failure. Virtually no one codes for the 32x today, yet the TG16 has numerous coders around the world, especially in Switzerland (there's a HUGE scene there).

Genesis: 4 palettes of 16 colours each, drawn from a 9bit palette. 80 hardware sprites, 32x32 in size.
TG16: 32 palettes of 16 colours each, drawn from a 9bit palette. 64 hardware sprites, selectable size up to 32x64.

Hrm...

You know...of course I do realize that the whole reason you wrote this post was to irritate me. But please...be more researched next time. :D