FreeTile Sprite Library

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Xerol
Veteran

FreeTile Sprite Library

Post by Xerol »

FreeTile Library

The Idea: A sprite library for use in FreeBasic games.

Ok, while slaving over a 32x32 badly made grass tile in Paint last night, I really wanted to find a place where there'd be a bunch of tiles just ready to use.

The concept is that all these tiles would be free to use, in any project, commercial or not, as long as they were used with a FreeBasic game. (Or non-game program that for some reason uses sprites.) I'll provide the hosting myself unless the size gets out of hand.

What needs to be done:

1) The Website. I've got the space but just having a bunch of tiles set up in a folder somewhere wouldn't be very easy or intuitive to use. So, I'm thinking we could set it up with a PHP system where the tiles are organised by type(i.e. Terrain, Buildings, People, etc., and sub-types such as Grass, Dirt, Water, etc.), size (32x32, 16x16, etc.), color depth (24 bit, 8 bit with standard QB palette, 4 bit, etc.), or even by artist. If anyone knows PHP better than I do please contact me so we can work together on this.

2) The sprites. For this we'll need a lot of sprites, but we'll take anything as long as they're original or they have permission from the creator. I'm especially looking at some of the classic QB RPGs, if someone knows how to get in contact with some of these people to get permission for the sprites, that'd be a great starting point for the 8- and 4-bit databases. Of course, we'll need original submissions for the 24-bit part.

3) The people. I think this would be a great way for a new generation of FreeBasic RPGs to come out - having all these sprites ready to go would let the programmers concentrate on programming.

If anyone wants to submit sprites while we get the site set up, send them to xerol@lggaming.com ZIPPED. BMP is preferred, but GIFs are okay for 8-bit sprites. They'll all be hosted in bitmap form eventually so it'd be less work for me if I got them in that format.

Keep in mind if you're going to submit anything with transparency to follow the 'rules' of transparency set forward with gfxlib - for indexed modes(i.e. 8- and 4-bit) whatever index is 0 will be transparent, and for 24-bit use (255, 0, 255). This'll be less work on the programmers.
If you need music composed in MP3, WAV, or MIDI format, please contact me via email.

Xerol's Music - Updated Regularly!
Deleter
Veteran

Post by Deleter »

What about 64x64? For my rpg i am currently deving in FB i have 1024x768 and 64 brings that to 16 by 12 sprites, a wholesome number if you ask me. Since I am no proffesional artist, when I'm done with my project I would be glad to donate my sprites to this, as a sprite resource is always an excellant thing. But really it depends whether or not you want 64x64. What say you?
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Go for it! Now that we have a bigger screen, we can finally use normal *gasp* sprite sizes.