Webhosting for those who want it

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

vohaul
Coder

Webhosting for those who want it

Post by vohaul »

With a whopping 8 gigs of space free on my server and over 70 gigs of bandwidth just lying around, I thought I'd do something back for the community that started me on the painful path of learning your way around the web.

I've gotten to know some people that I still regard as friends, even though I might not talk to them a lot, and the QB community will always hold a special place in my heart.

But instead of coding, for which I sadly lack the time, motivation and skill (I'm much more at home in dabbling with PHP), I thought I'd give out free hosting with no strings attached (other than no illegal stuff :P)

I am offering, to those who want it, hosting with the following features:
- Hosting under subdomain
- PHP/MySQL/Perl/C script ability
- 20 megs of space, which is manually monitored, so if you go overboard, but not by much, it's fine by me
- whatever bandwidth you require
- NO advertising whatsoever, and there will NEVER be any of that shit on my server

It's free, it's good, it's reliable, and I'm offering it to you guys. I can set up accounts as soon as you want them, so let me know and I'll get you all set up.

And if you're wondering what my street cred is, well, I've been running danwa.net for over 5 years now, and from the start I've been hosting it from my own pocket.

The subdomains would be located under hostvoh.net until I decide I can spare the cash to purchase a more QB-ish domain name.

I've already sent Pete an email about it, but I wanted to make it publically known soon ^_^

Ta!
I am what you'd call a nice bastard.
vohaul
Coder

Post by vohaul »

Addendum: I can and am willing to host domains as well. We have our own nameservers and we use Cpanel. Basically, I rock :P
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Whoa, hey vohaul! :D Long time no see, man! :D Where ya been? :D
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Sounds cool! But me no need this...
vohaul
Coder

Post by vohaul »

Nekrophidius wrote:Whoa, hey vohaul! :D Long time no see, man! :D Where ya been? :D
I been in the abandonware community for ages, and now I'm in the weblog hosting community, and generic website hosting :)

I've had a paid hosting service, but opted not to do that, because people expect so much, and I got bored with that, so now I'm working with donation-based hosting (unless I tell people they can get it for free ;))

And I've never forgotten about RGB. Tell me, is there ever going to be a finished game? Or should I just do it myself :P
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Josiah and I have been working on RGB on and off over the last couple of years. I've written a few early prototypes in several languages but until FB came out, never got too far. I've now got a universal RPG engine written in FB which I'm using for RGB, WOS, and DP, plus any other RPGs we might think up after those three are completed.

We've been doing paid hosting for a couple of years now but we're highly considering getting out of it, just retaining the clients we have now and going low-key. I've stopped web design for the most part, since you eventually get your fill of jackasses who can't figure out why your CSS-based site that you've spent 40 hours developing for them won't load on their Mac Performa running Netscape Gold 3.0 or other such wonderful bullshit...
vohaul
Coder

Post by vohaul »

Nekrophidius wrote:Josiah and I have been working on RGB on and off over the last couple of years. I've written a few early prototypes in several languages but until FB came out, never got too far. I've now got a universal RPG engine written in FB which I'm using for RGB, WOS, and DP, plus any other RPGs we might think up after those three are completed.

We've been doing paid hosting for a couple of years now but we're highly considering getting out of it, just retaining the clients we have now and going low-key. I've stopped web design for the most part, since you eventually get your fill of jackasses who can't figure out why your CSS-based site that you've spent 40 hours developing for them won't load on their Mac Performa running Netscape Gold 3.0 or other such wonderful bullshit...
@RGB, okay then, at least there's some progress :) (I hope I'm not being too forward about it, but you can't blame me from expecting progress on that :P)

@hosting, I can understand, it's quite a big thing, hosting professionally. I'm just hosting friends and people I know at the moment, and keeping to that. I still give out loads of free accounts, both for weblogs and now these kinds of sites :)

@design, HELL YEAH! Preach it! People who order designs want them to work on toasters, and if they can't grasp the simple fact that things change and people should change with them, they've no place on the intarweb.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

Yep.

I decided I like you vohaul. We think the same. :D

Websites hosting, sounds interesting. Currently a lot better than I have now.

So....how were you in QB? :D You make any programs, games, etc.?
"But...It was so beutifully done"
vohaul
Coder

Post by vohaul »

I sucked giant... Let's just say I wasn't the best :) I'd been dabbling in QB since ever, and when I finally got my own 'net access in '99, I found the "Qmunity" (hardy laugh), and stuck. I made 1 lame attempt at a game engine, called the Fabled System, which was based on the choose your own adventure book series Fabled Lands. I also made a little application that would change the background of your windows desktop on bootup, but that was lame too (still have the floppy install disk of it... I think I spent more time on the installation program than I did on the app itself).

I'm more of a PHP man myself. But making web-based games isn't too grand :P Other than that I've made some game demos in AGS, but that's scripting and point&click work, so I can focus on the designing rather than the coding ;)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Ok, I just started learning PHP. Hmmm...I all I know is <php? echo "yo"; ?> or something like that.... :D

Well, I'm not the best at QB either, but I guess no one is...I like doing it for fun :D
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:) Heh, I'd take up the offer, but, I already got a free FTP that I've gotten rather used too.. My avatar is dynamic from it, means I can change it from there to every forum I got it linked to... hmm, still need to link up from FB.tk tho,.. heh..

I dunno, Mitth, from what I've seen, you can do right empressive things.. not the best in the world of QB, but you get right up there..
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Not even close. Just look at Plasma + Rel.

Dude...Rattra why NOT take the offer, just because you have a FTP that you got for free and you like it? Heh, I got mine for free and It's totaly independent from my server (well, not 'my' server, but...). :D
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:) Because I like my humble little FTP, How come you are not taking up on it, or have you? :wink:

Plasma + Relsoft,. there all the way up there, but you get up in there good to,. maybe a few ranks back... but hay, as Rel quoted in one of the QBE's, any one could do what he does if they take the time to learn.. he started off as a newbe too, got to remember that.. :wink:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Ya, I don't have time....lol
No matter how much stuff I learn there is still more to do.