Newest Tutorial...need ideas

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Levi
Veteran

Newest Tutorial...need ideas

Post by Levi »

Hey everyone. I need some ideas about a new tutorial to add to my RPG Plot Line tutorials.

So far I have:

General Plot Line Creation
Dialogue and Character Development

I want to do:
The art of Foreshadowing

And that's about it. I was wondering if there's anything you guy would like to learn. If not I'll just do foreshadowing. Looking forward to reading some replies.
Later days,
Matthew

May those who love us love us
And those who don't
May the good Lord turn their hearts
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping
-Irish prayer
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

There's something I saw once that was never finished...

Enemy and Allies Artificial Intelligence....as in how to make REAL AI for both of them depending on where and when you are in the story line and the task at hand ...

I'd sure like to learn more about that...that "part of" tutor I saw really opened my eyes but it pissed me off to see it cut so short...lol...
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Levi
Veteran

Post by Levi »

I must admit most of my work has been on plot and story line creation. Been a while since I've gotten into coding for RPG's. I'll have to think about that one. But definatly a good idea for another set of tutorials. I'll definatly look into that, thanks.
Later days,
Matthew

And those who don't
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
-Irish prayer
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

How about what every first-time RPG Programmer needs:

A Tut on Pixel design for characters/tiles/maps/items/etc.
A Tut on making an RPG scrolling engine.
A Tut on Character animation with events/triggers.

Stuff like that I think who-want-to-make-an-RPG-game-but-don't-know-how people will want. :D :wink:
"But...It was so beutifully done"
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Mitt, there have already been about a million tutorials about all three of those topics. There would be no point. There's no sense in reinventing the wheel.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

I know Pete....

But Alas! There is a point in reinventing the wheel!
The point is to reinvent it better!

Imagine the first wheel as a stone circle. But when Ford reinvented it for his cars he made it a rubber thing around a central metal thing and before that it was a wooden thing with spokes.

So its good to reinvent something otherwise you get to a point when society can't advance futher into advancement without reinventing its most basic components. For example you wouldn't make a hovercraft with a rubber wheel, now would ya?

Well sorry pete that's just my philosophysizing again... :D
Levi
Veteran

Post by Levi »

Agreed Pete. In fact there are some fabulous tutorials in the tutorials section of this site. It would be ridiculous to make more.

Again, i'm looking more for ideas on how to improve the game story and characters. Maybe defining some cliches that should be avoided. Or offereing base plots to build off of. And so on.
Later days,
Matthew

And those who don't
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
-Irish prayer
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

I take it that from the posting times you didn't see my last post ^...

Well how about this:
--For the base story line plot thing:
----Just take the best things you like from other RPGs and make it into your own cool RPG! :D Of course not things DIRECTLY (like you wouldn't go naming your character Link) from them but ideas (Your character [like Link] must go resque a princess[Like Zelda]).

But stuff like that. :D
Levi
Veteran

Post by Levi »

Have you read my tutorials? I am already guiding the readers through the creation of an RPG Plot line giving examples from Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy and so on. In the end I hope to have a fully developed RPG story line. I've already developed the general idea, and improved my characters. I will be doing foreshadowing but before that I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

I'm basically splitting the many features of a fully developed game into smaller sections.

Also, the phrase "Reinventing the wheel" means to change it if it works fine. More like the shape than the make-up. Sure from Wood to Rubber is fine, but it's still round. It's still a wheel. Reinventing it is more like making it square or triangular.

But sometimes you can go no further in improving something than you already have. You can change the materials or the order but it's the same wheel. The effectiveness is the same, and that's how far we've come.
Later days,
Matthew

And those who don't
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
-Irish prayer
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

ABSOLUTLEY NOT!

The ONLY limit to human inginuity is the belief that some things you can't make better. You can make ANYTHING better! BTW a square wheel isn't much use....

You might think its impossible to invent something that's better than a circle wheel but then if you were able to think of it then it would be invented now wouldn't it?

If you want I could give you many examples, if you ask, as to if the human race thought with that philosphy that somethings couldn't be made better then it would show how screwed this world would be.

And no I haven't looked at your tuts.
Levi
Veteran

Post by Levi »

You're not suppose to rebel, you're suppose to listen to me. :D

But seriously, there are limits. It's a great thing to know that the limits are still far away, but it's unrealistic to belive they aren't there.

Socrates said that "The greatest wisdom is knowing you know nothing." He came up with this after interviewing all of the wise men in the country of Greece. And found that though they understood a lot, they understood so very little. It's the knowledge that there is somewhere to go and ways to improve that makes one wise.

so you have a good view. But you can only improve the materials. Not the shape. And only for so long.

I don't think there is anything I can do to improve these. So it would be re-inventing the wheel in the wrong sense. Sorry.
Later days,
Matthew

And those who don't
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
-Irish prayer
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Ok, I guess regardless your right, you can't improve the RPG tuts.

But I will rebel! HA! :lol:

Still don't confine yourself to limiting yourself.

Let me tell you. How can you limit yourself when you don't know the limits? Tell me how big the universe is then tell me what can and cannot be invented. :D
Levi
Veteran

Post by Levi »

Are you sure I don't know the limits?

In truth, the biggest limit, not the only or ultimate limit, is one's self. I love writing, I love reading, I love all literature in all forms far more than I love programming. So my limits are what I know and enjoy. I'll limit myself to those and those alone. But every programmer needs to know how ot write. From technical documents to simply story lines and that's my purpose.

Einstein said that there is an end to the universe. That though the universe expands, there are boundries and limits.

Now if you think of the word Invent as meaning to discover then I can think of a few. Though one who never knew of it's existance before can re-invent something in teh sense of rediscovering it in the exact same form. So I can't say you can't invent somthing that is already invented. I mean we didn't invent(create) many things simply because they occur naturally in the world. But we say we invented them based on discovery. But if laws in the universe are real then you can't discover a way to break them. And depending on beliefs you can't invent something greater than God.

I just say, don't be foolish enough to say the sky's the limit, because it maybe closer than that. And the sky is a lot closer than we think.
Later days,
Matthew

And those who don't
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
-Irish prayer
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

How about a thery on how to change the storyline depending on what you do. Mabye also show how to make a "Dark Side" and "Light Side" meter that shows how good you are so more/less people will trust you?
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

I think Nate here has played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic....:D
Depending on your actions in the game you either go to the dark side or the light side...

But anyway...Your right....GA!!...there are boundaries. My world is shattered! But DON"T KEEP PUTTING THAT AROUND I BEG YOU! If people knew there were boundaries they would limit their creativity and we would all suffer. :shock:
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Yup! My brother ripped it. I havn't played it yet, but have watched him play it A LOT! Sith armour looks sweet!

I got him past like 20 things that he was stuck on, so he stopped telling me to go away. Like to get to the lower city, I told him to put on Sith armour - it had been 2 hours before I told him that, too!
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Thats called a IF game, Na_th_an from QBN is already writing some tuts on that,.. :) ,. He submitted 'em to QBExpress.. :wink:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

I wish I had a little brother that I could play video games with....

heh...BTW I never played SW: KOR

But anyways....ummm....any good RPG game is an IF game as what you called it Rattra. Theres nothing special about the IF game. I just call it an exceptable RPG game.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:) Eh, but when the lil bro wants to play right when you in the middle of a code starts to get anoying tho.. :wink: :lol:

hmm, Levi,. RPG are interactive stories, foreshadowing is part of most good stories, so I'd write a tut on that strait off and not if we don't give you any good substitutes... maybe then we'll get more interesting RPGs from those who read your tuts,. :D :wink:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

:shifty: I don't no whom your talking about.....