New here

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

k7
Coder

New here

Post by k7 »

Hello everybody. New to this forum but not new to FreeBASIC/programming. Check out my site http://ortise.com to see some of my limited work. I'm mainly into game development but don't mind hacking up some graphical demo's. My current project is a Paint-like program, should be on my site soon. Also enjoy programming competitions but nothing to hard :) .
Trevor G.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

welcome to the forum....look forward to seeing your programs...
Erik
Veteran

Post by Erik »

Welcome!
Mentat
Veteran

Hello.

Post by Mentat »

Hello. I'm new too. Somebody said to check out the forums, so here I am. Anybody heard of FirstBASIC? It's the only BASIC dialect that's not actually on Wikipedia (and they have hundreds of Listed BASIC dialects). Any suggestions for something to do (except RPGs)? I'm working(ish) on a simple strategy game. It's based on line-tiles, missiles, tanks, and tower-of-babel home bases. Simple, but I've never seen anybody try my idea . It sounds cliche', but the layout of the game is new. Lines for tiles! I said I was a newbie.

By the way, how come 15% of the site's games run on my computer. I've gotten dozens of different reasons why they don't run from error messages (ex:out of memory, the famously annoying 16-bit DOS sub error,out of memory, <varname> not defined, out of memory, etc...).
Stoves
Veteran

Post by Stoves »

Pete's List of Challenges http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/cha ... nges.shtml is a good place to start for program ideas when learning QBasic.

As far as the errors, many are probably due to needing particular library files, but what version of QBasic are you running?
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I've done most of them on my TI 83 (TI BASIC, it's how I found QBASIC in the first place)

I have a compiler called FirstBasic, and it's pretty compatible. I also have 4.5 (I think). I forgot where or how I got it. But some problems were from dos, saying it found 16 bit instructions, which it can't use (otherwise, why would it complain and shut my program down?).