Why I can use linux on my laptop.

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

{Nathan}
Veteran

Why I can use linux on my laptop.

Post by {Nathan} »

My laptop has a 600mhz processor with 256 ram and a 512mb swap partition. On a 1.6ghz computer with 512 ram and 512 swap running Gnome, Scite, Xchat, and FireFox, I get the following image.

ImageImage

I think that on a 600 megahertz laptop with XFCE4 on it, I can run the same. Plus, I have a TV in my direct vision then :lol:

Anyway, I got sick of Windows 98SE compatibility, updates, and all that stuff, and it was way too slow to run Windows 2000/XP. I just upgraded from 128mb of ram this summer. I never used it, then I discovered that linux actually supported and helped old computers be useful again.

Take that, VISTA! HA!

Nathan1993 now waits for the flame war that will probably follow.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

You cant be serious.
M$ is great software company with great and innovated products what are created by the greatest professional programmers there is.

Now, shame your words and go your local computer shop, buy latest, most expensive computer and that great Microsoft product Vista and use it, since it's the only real operating system there is. A true American gift from the greatest and most genious programmers of holy nation, USA.

Not so long ago, when this site was new, Shelly and I published an article called ?Linux, a European Threat to our Computers?. It seems that the Good Lord was guiding our hands, because shortly after we published a very famous and influential Texan Congressman from the House Appropriations Committee read our research and decided to act upon it. As a result, a number of Federal Linux pork-barrel projects were told to buy American or risk having their budgets cut. Lets just say, that this year a number of important faith-based projects recieved some unexpected bonuses.

I dont personally hate Americans, but time to time they are damn good comedians. (they wanted it or not)
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Re: Why I can use linux on my laptop.

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Nathan1993 wrote:My laptop has a 600mhz processor with 256 ram and a 512mb swap partition. On a 1.6ghz computer with 512 ram and 512 swap running Gnome, Scite, Xchat, and FireFox, I get the following image.

ImageImage

I think that on a 600 megahertz laptop with XFCE4 on it, I can run the same. Plus, I have a TV in my direct vision then :lol:

Anyway, I got sick of Windows 98SE compatibility, updates, and all that stuff, and it was way too slow to run Windows 2000/XP. I just upgraded from 128mb of ram this summer. I never used it, then I discovered that linux actually supported and helped old computers be useful again.

Take that, VISTA! HA!

Nathan1993 now waits for the flame war that will probably follow.
YES! FINALLY! IT HAS BEEN SAID! Linux makes old computers work like new!

@EK: Ha...?
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Congratulations, you have now proven your nerdiness to the rest of the tux-geek crowd. Bravo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now be a real man and run a real Unix on it. :P
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Unix =/= free. That's the biggest reason why I use linux, the rest of the awsomeness is just side effects. I'm freaking 13 and I don't want my money going to M$ for a piece of crap that has to be defragg'd every week and is made for people that don't even know how use the shift key.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

http://www.freebsd.org/

Free Unix. :D

*yawn* to your bandwagon statements about "M$".
bungytheworm
Veteran

Re: Why I can use linux on my laptop.

Post by bungytheworm »

Patz QuickBASIC Creations wrote:@EK: Ha...?
Dont take that my post so seriously :lol:
Nekrophidius wrote:http://www.freebsd.org/
My friend used it for few months. He sayd it's damn good one, allhto documenting ain't.
Im interested about FreeBSD but most likely not gona install it on my comp. in near future.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

In order to use any of the BSD-based Unix systems, you have to already have a working knowledge of Unix. Think of it along the lines of an advanced Linux in terms of learning curve (not in functionality...it's a different beast altogether).
Veteran

Post by Guest »

E.K.Virtanen wrote:You cant be serious.
M$ is great software company with great and innovated products what are created by the greatest professional programmers there is.

Now, shame your words and go your local computer shop, buy latest, most expensive computer and that great Microsoft product Vista and use it, since it's the only real operating system there is. A true American gift from the greatest and most genious programmers of holy nation, USA.

Not so long ago, when this site was new, Shelly and I published an article called “Linux, a European Threat to our Computers“. It seems that the Good Lord was guiding our hands, because shortly after we published a very famous and influential Texan Congressman from the House Appropriations Committee read our research and decided to act upon it. As a result, a number of Federal Linux pork-barrel projects were told to buy American or risk having their budgets cut. Lets just say, that this year a number of important faith-based projects recieved some unexpected bonuses.

I dont personally hate Americans, but time to time they are damn good comedians. (they wanted it or not)
The computing industry would have been much better off without Microsoft. If IBM took Gary Kildall's deal with CP/M in the 80s we'd probably never be complaining about crashes and that stuff.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Yes. World would be way different if any major decision would have been something else than it was.

And in case there is some misunderstund on air, my post was joke. I dont like windows and i wonder why on hell anyone uses that crappy OS.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

EK: Good, I thought so... I didn't see any smilies, so it was hard to tell.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

I thought my opinion was self-explanatory.
After all, look my avatar and notice im ex- lurah as my signature says :lol:
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Guest wrote:The computing industry would have been much better off without Microsoft.
The computing industry would currently be much better off without people like you hounding its every move.

If you don't like Microsoft, then don't use their products and stfu about it.
Veteran

Post by Guest »

Nekrophidius wrote:
Guest wrote:The computing industry would have been much better off without Microsoft.
{snip}

If you don't like Microsoft, then don't use their products and stfu about it.
I don't hate Microsoft, and I don't like them either - Windows 2000 is one of my favorite OSes since its quite stable and doesn't waste CPU time with useless themes while still preserving my sanity(I'd use Plan 9 if it supported my sound card and I didn't have to deal with compiling crap - a serious waste of my time). At the same time I dislike Microsoft because many products don't seem to have the security I could get with another OS. Security is not much of a problem for me at this point and so Microsoft is actually the lesser of the two evils.

Unix is the same way - GREAT! I can get a free OS. Oh wait, I can't get an image editor with a decent interface or a WYSIWYG HTML editor that doesn't suck? Oh no, now I have to deal with dependancies and the inability to use some of my hardware! Shit, now I have to use ed to fix my system because something like OpenWatcom Vi is just too much of a luxury for an uber 1337 OS. Now I have to wade through man pages to fix a simple problem I could have avoided in windows. XP.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Some interesting points for sure. A couple of things stand out though:

Decent pixel app for *nix? Sure, it's called Pixel, and costs $32. It's far superior to that gimpy excuse for an editor (pun intended).

WYSIWYG HTML editors are for the llamas. A true web designer can make a website in kedit/nedit/emacs + any graphics editor.

Windows apps have PLENTY of dependencies, don't let the "intelligent" installers fool you. It's just that they have a great way of hiding it most of the time, and often times when you download something, it wll include all the dependencies in the installer itself, creating bloat, since often times you'll already have the required dependency. *nix apps are a bit more verbose in this respect and some distros of Linux have done a decent job of autoacquiring missing dependencies. Still got a ways to go though...

And anyone who uses vi is just a dork. Seriously. Get with the now.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

I don't use vi, I using vim....roflmao
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Veteran

Post by Guest »

Nekrophidius wrote:Some interesting points for sure. A couple of things stand out though:

Decent pixel app for *nix? Sure, it's called Pixel, and costs $32. It's far superior to that gimpy excuse for an editor (pun intended).
Pixel is definately better than the GIMP when I tried the trial. However I could never use it properly because Fireworks has loosened my tolerance on using multiple windows when I could be using a cleaner tab interface with an acme editor-like window interface for tools.
WYSIWYG HTML editors are for the llamas. A true web designer can make a website in kedit/nedit/emacs + any graphics editor.
At least one professional friend of mine uses Dreamweaver, but he only uses it for layout - all the rest of the CSS and HTML is done by hand. I've adopted a similar technique.
Windows apps have PLENTY of dependencies, don't let the "intelligent" installers fool you. It's just that they have a great way of hiding it most of the time, and often times when you download something, it wll include all the dependencies in the installer itself, creating bloat, since often times you'll already have the required dependency. *nix apps are a bit more verbose in this respect and some distros of Linux have done a decent job of autoacquiring missing dependencies. Still got a ways to go though...
True. If I had something similar to the Debian Package Manager without the need for debian CDs and I could use my selected few packages I have on a backup CD(probably outdated as hell) I'd probably use Linux if I wasn't satisfied with a dual boot with eComStation and Windows.
And anyone who uses vi is just a dork. Seriously. Get with the now.
I'm just using an editor that is similar to MS Edit as an example(OW vi is unlike the vi that you have in nearly every unix OS) of what I'd see out of a default CLI unix text editor.