QB Express Issue 3 Updates -- Need content!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

QB Express Issue 3 Updates -- Need content!

Post by Pete »

Hey, the next issue of QB Express is only 9 days away, and I'm still hurting for content!

So far, here's what I've got:
  • For Sure:
    *Part 2 of QB Now! by Neo (Have it)
    *A "Bobby The QBasic Maniac" comic from Matt2Jones (Have it)
    *The first part of a tutorial series on GUI programming, by VonGodric (Have a draft version)
    *An article on " The 7-line QB text-based graphical screensaver challenge" by Adigun A. Polack (Have it)
    *A "lost" RPG tutorial by DarkDread, which was originally supposed to run in QB:TM before it ended....though it was available on the Darkness Ethereal site for a while. (Have it)

Likely:
    *A review of a QB game by Oz
    *A tutorial on scripting by Chaoticmass
    *A "Character creation tutorial" by Levi

Possibly:
    *A tutorial by RelSoft
    *An article by Nekrophidius
    *A tutorial by Terry Cavanagh
    *An aritlce by Barok
I also have two or three letters to the editor. I've got a few news stories to write up, but nothing really very exciting (SEND ME YOUR NEWS!) I've also selected my topic for Blast From The Past! and I will be writing up the results of the Four Line Game Compo.

I still do not have a game to feature for this month's Gallery. If there are no takers, I will have to omit this section.

Especially right now, I'm looking for some writers to be permanent staff, meaning that you will have a regular column or section, and submit something every month. I'm looking for people to write editorial columns about the QB community or QB history, since those articles have been the most popular in the first two issues.

I'm also looking for someone who would like to take over the Monthly Programming Competition -- answer questions, promote the competition, choose the winners and then make up the next month's challenge.

Remember, if you want to submit something to Issue #3, I will need it by the morning of October 15th. The issue will come out sometime before midnight (Eastern Standard Time) on that same day.
{Nathan}
Veteran

I will

Post by {Nathan} »

i will make if you give me a good, but easy topic. or inspire me to creat (yet another) theroy. also, i would like 2 hear reply about object orented rpgs, and please!!!!!!!!!! please! some at least explain what sin and cos do , it really confuses me and if its cofusing, I CAN'T DO IT!!! Note: I am in 6th grade but have a 10th grade math level and is in the process of reading a 8th grade algebra book.
_ _
|\/|/-\ | |-|!!!!!!
barok
Coder

Post by barok »

I'm working at it Pete! Just finished the game i'm reviewing, and now i'm gonna write it up.

Sine and Cosine... Used to figure out a side/angle of a triangle. At least that's what we're using it for in Math C30... But it's used alot for drawing circles, waves, rotating, scaling... just wait, i'll pull up a good tutorial.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~horie/qbrotate.html
yeah... that should help you.
I have no sig.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Great to hear, Barok!

Nathan, here's a great tutorial on Trigonometry (using SIN, COS and TAN): http://qbcm.hybd.net/issues/1-7/#trig

It's "Introduction to Trigonometry" by Matthew R. Knight.
{Nathan}
Veteran

THX

Post by {Nathan} »

thanks everyone, your all so nice!!! :wink:
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

you still didnt answer my main question: what should I write about?
Marinedalek

Post by Marinedalek »

How about a tutorial on ASM? Everyone does one, but as I'm just learning I know what I didn't know, if you see what I mean.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I would like a tutor on asm too... but i dont no asm :cry:

Post by Guest »

That would be a cool!!! hmmmm........
barok
Coder

Post by barok »

about 90% done the review now. Is 2.5 pages at size 12 large enough?

btw: I have some screenshots i took of the rpg i'm reviewing. Do i just send them to you as well and you'll put them in?
I have no sig.
Marinedalek

Post by Marinedalek »

I've done a short tut on the very basics of ASM. You can see it here. What do you think?
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Marinedalek: Sure, if you'd like to submit that tutorial, I'll gladly run it! Are you planning on writing a tutorial series, or just this one introductory tutorial?

Nathan1993: You can write a tutorial on any topic you feel comfortable writing on. I don't know what you have an expertise in. A few months ago, I compiled a list of ideas I had for tutorials that haven't been done before (or have not been covered sufficiently, I feel):
http://forum.qbasicnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=6608

You can use that list to help you choose a topic if you'd like.

However, I am also looking for articles / editorials about topics in the QB Community or reviews of newer game releases. The response from the first and second issues indicated that what people enjoyed the most in QB Express were the non-tutorial articles that I wrote like the "Blast From The Past!" column and the "Gallery" preview, the interviews and the articles like "The Search for the Mags". So if you'd rather write an article than a tutorial, that would be good too.

And all this applies to anyone-- if anyone would like to write, go ahead, type something up and send it on in!
marinedalek
Coder

Post by marinedalek »

Yeah, you can put it in. I'll do a tutorial series. In fact, I'll write the second part now, for next issue if there's no problem with the first.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You'll receive many many chapters somewhere in November... (I think it will be around 60 pages in total, for QB Now!: Advanced).
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Pete: you'll have a certain *ahem* file from me later on today. ;)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hmmmnnn... sounds secret... ;)
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Awesome.

::wink, wink::
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Check yer freakin' private messages already!
Piptol

Post by Piptol »

Hey Pete, I'm hoping to do a few interviews to submit for the next issue, or to use whenever you have a space to fill :) I've already approached a couple of people so we'll have to see if anyone is up for it..
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Awesome -- Great to hear!