Favorite MS Operating System

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

{Nathan}
Veteran

Favorite MS Operating System

Post by {Nathan} »

What is your favorite MS operating system? Mine would have to be MSDOS6.22, and the ultimite machine would be DOS6.22, Win3.1, and 98SE. What about you guys?

EDIT: Fixed spelling errors -Z!re
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

I have to say that by isolation the Windows 98 DOS 8.0 which I've done already. It is my best OS :-).

My Ideal Machine is a DOS 8.0, Windows 98SE I don't care for 16 bit Windows however, there's still alot of things out there for it...so I wouldn't reject installing it :-). all with a Linux Version. and I'd be happy.
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Windows 2000 Pro
No DOS
I have left this dump.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I had a special hybrid version of Windows 98 SE that was mixed with some of the applications of Windows ME. The process for doing it was on a website I found a couple of years ago, unfortunately I can't find the site anymore. Anyways, that was my favourite version of MS OS.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Windows XP Pro........ all the MS operating systems I had before XP Pro were fatally flawed in one way or another, but XP Pro does everything I want and NEVER crashes for me.

The only thing XP Pro doesn't do well is run DOS programs... but it doesn't bother me enough to care.
Shoorick

Post by Shoorick »

I like Millenuim Edition as a microsoft OS, but I have found OS/2 4 to be better...
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

Windows 2000 pro, its windows XP without all the flair eating up around 150 mb of ram(according to Call for Help) and DOS programs don't suck on it.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

DaveUnit wrote:Windows 2000 pro, its windows XP without all the flair eating up around 150 mb of ram(according to Call for Help) and DOS programs don't suck on it.
Hear hear =)
Thats actually the only reason I dont go XP, it uses too much of the system resources
I have left this dump.
DrV
Veteran

Post by DrV »

Windows XP Pro with SP2, without a doubt. When configured correctly, it's decently lightweight, and it's hands down the stablest Microsoft OS I've ever used. Plus, I've never had any trouble running a huge number of QB (and DOS in general) programs with it. Of course, there are the stubborn few, but those are usually just old games. If I really want to run DOS programs, I reboot and start FreeDOS instead. :)

I'm writing this on a Pentium II with Windows 95a. It's fatally crashed or locked up three times already in the past two days, and I've only been doing a little simple software development. ;) But I have to admire the fact that the machine keeps running even when C: has literally 0 free bytes. I've managed to slim it down a bit and now I'm up to 10.4 MB free on C: (out of 514 MB) and 36.3 MB free on D: (out of 695 MB). Lightweight software is nice, but I'll take stability over size or even speed any day.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Z!re wrote:
DaveUnit wrote:Windows 2000 pro, its windows XP without all the flair eating up around 150 mb of ram(according to Call for Help) and DOS programs don't suck on it.
Hear hear =)
Thats actually the only reason I dont go XP, it uses too much of the system resources
Good point...I would agree if I had a less powerful system. But when you've got 2GB of ram, 150MB doesn't really matter.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Pete wrote:
Z!re wrote:
Hear hear =)
Good point...I would agree if I had a less powerful system. But when you've got 2GB of ram, 150MB doesn't really matter.
Showoff :P
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

... lol... yeah, my laptop has a virus and 128 megs, my new one has 512...
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

The crapbox I'm using right now is so freakin' old, I'm embarassed to tell you guys the specs. :oops:

All the parts from my new PC are currently on their way. 512 MB RAM, 3 GHZ processor, blah blah blah I won't bore you with details. But its a pretty decent gaming rig I made on a strict budget, I bought my 120 gb hard drive last night and I just need to pick up the DVD drive... okay I'll stop rambling 'bout the new comp. :P

But yeah I want Windows taking up as little resources as I can so FEAR and Unreal can run as good as possible. So YAY Windows 2000! :D

~Dave~
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Well, this far what i have tested and used different OS, Ubuntu what i have now definately beats all others like 5 to nothing.

Faster than XP in 3 times powerfull pc and stable as rock.
This far havent been any troubles with opening win,dos,mac etc. files or programs. Works like dream.
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

My fav OS? I actually have several which are divided in the better and best list.
  • BETTER
    MS-Dos 5.0 (underwich I learned to program)
    MS-Dos 6.2 (underwich I continued to program and still do)
    Windows 3.1 & 3.11
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows NT
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Windows 2003
    Windows Vista
  • BEST
    Linux Red Hat 5.1
    Linux Red Hat 8.0
    Linux Fedora

and ofcourse
    Qbinux
grtz
Seb
QBinux is a Linux distribution with the aim of integrating the work of the vast community of free software developers at Pete's QBASIC Site in order to create a modern, performant, safe and easy to use system for system administrators and desktop users.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I said M$...
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Nathan1993 wrote:I said M$...
I fixed it.. annoying spelling error.
I have left this dump.

Post by Guest »

Pete wrote:Windows XP Pro........ all the MS operating systems I had before XP Pro were fatally flawed in one way or another, but XP Pro does everything I want and NEVER crashes for me.

The only thing XP Pro doesn't do well is run DOS programs... but it doesn't bother me enough to care.
agreed, i waited a few years before switching from 98-XP, but the difference was amazing, no more crashes.

Post by Guest »

[quote="Seb McClouth"]My fav OS? I actually have several which are divided in the better and best list.
  • BETTER
    Windows Vista
have you got this? i thought it was just in beta at the moment?
Veteran

Post by Guest »

You can buy a beta of windows vista through microsoft, or if he is a pirate</not going any furthur>...