I am officially a zombie..

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

I am officially a zombie..

Post by Pete »

Sorry for not fixing the Coranto script or replying to emails lately.

I have pulled all-nighters in five of the past seven nights. I can't even distinguish when one day ends and the next day begins. My life is a blur, and my mind is shot.

And there is so much more to do.

I'll get everything back on track next week, when the semester ends.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Pete, mabye you should check out http://www.ubersleep.com/ ... you sleep 2 hours every 24 hours, and feel more rested than before! I wanna try it... but I have school...
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Slkeeping less than (ROUGHLY!) 8 hours/24hour period is NOT recomended, it severely lowers reaction time and can in some cases affect physical coordination from brain (spasms) and other nasties..

In short, dont do it unless you have to.. it's stupid, dangerous.. and.. stupid.. and.. dangerous.. and you shouldnt do it.. cause it's.. stupid.. and dangerous!..
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

read it... it tricks your brain into resting 4 hours a day instead of 1.5, which you get in your 8-hour sleep schedule... and i will prove this to you when I do this for a science fair project next year :-p!!!
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Nathan1993 wrote:read it... it tricks your brain into resting 4 hours a day instead of 1.5, which you get in your 8-hour sleep schedule... and i will prove this to you when I do this for a science fair project next year :-p!!!
It never dawned on you that if this was so great, and harmless... more people would do it?

It's like the ProAna websites (Pro-Anorexia) That claim it's better to be tiny and weigh < 40kg, than to be fat.. because more people die of fattness than from being underweight..

It's stupid, retarded, and I feel sorry for the people who fall for crap like this/that..
I have left this dump.
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

It looks to me like it's more of a "sleep throughout the day" kind of thing, where you take small naps every so often. Doesn't quite work in this society, unless you have the money, or you're a freeloader. :)

Though it does sound interesting, kinda like how the Japanese eat small amounts of food many times throughout the day to be more balanced. The problem with sleep though, it that (and I'm not a scientist or doctor here, so excuse me for any mistakes I make) there's different stages to it, ie., after this amount of time you get this much REM, and so on. By sleeping in small amounts, you might not get the full effects of a "good night's sleep". Although your body might adjust as well. Who knows?
Z!re wrote:It never dawned on you that if this was so great, and harmless... more people would do it?
Well, ASSUMING that it worked, more people would do it if their occupations (work or school) allowed it. There's no real way to tell if it works because obviously, no major institution has done a major study on it. It might work, it might not. Besides, no scientific advancement ever happened because someone said "nobody does it, so it doesn't work" or "nobody believes in it, so it's not true." You don't believe the sun revolves around the earth because, well, Gallileo proved everyone wrong even though the masses said "it's not so!" Did that dawn on you?

In any case, it's some random guy doing an experiment in blog form, so there's no scientific evidence on that particular website. You'd have to look into real, credible institutions for studies and whatnot.

I'd look for more info, Nathan, before you give this a try. But hey, it's up to you... hell, it might work, it might not. That's science.

-The Awakened
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Ok, but I am going to laugh when this works after I do it for a science fair project next year and I prove you wrong...
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

The Awakened wrote:Stuff, not quoting it
Nathan said: 2 hours sleep every 24 hours.

That is: 24 hours of awake, fully functional (even above fully functional according to nathan) followed by 2 hours sleep, repeat.

This is bullshit.

As you mentioned, there are sleep stages, it is only in the "deepest" aka: REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep that we dream, this is the time where the brain relax/let go, and we filter the impressions we have absorbed during the day.
Think of it as purging the mid term memory (a few hours) and running a defrag.

It takes more than 2 hours.

Sure, you can run a halfassed "fast" defrag, but you wont clear the memory, nor optimize it fully.

In short: If this worked, more people would do it.
It is NOT recomended, nor any benefit to sleep for 2 hours while pulling 24hour uptimes.

I repeat: It's stupid and retarded, and will most likely hurt your body.
Stupid suggestible younglings..
OMG! Cliff! JUMP!
I have left this dump.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

The Awakened wrote:You don't believe the sun revolves around the earth because, well, Gallileo proved everyone wrong even though the masses said "it's not so!"
They said "it's not so!" for fear of being killed by the religious theocracy that ruled his country.
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

I never quoted Nathan because the website he linked to was a simple blog.

Did you even skim across the stuff on the website Nathan linked to? You don't do 24 hours, sleep 2, repeat, you take short naps (like half hour ones) throughout the day that makes up 2 hours of sleep.

From Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote: Polyphasic sleep is a sleep pattern specification intended to reduce sleep time to 2?5 hours daily. This is achieved by spreading out sleep into short naps of around 20?45 minutes throughout the day.

The method uses natural human sleep mechanisms to maximize alertness when sleep time needs to be minimized. However, it requires a rigid schedule which makes it unfeasible for most people. It can work well for those engaged in activities which do not permit lengthy periods of sleep (e.g. sailors).

It is believed that after being deprived of sleep during an adjustment period, the brain will start to enter the required stages much quicker - with the result that each short nap consists almost solely of REM sleep. Some theories of sleep suggest that REM is largely responsible for the mental rejuvenation effects of sleep, but the role of REM sleep has in recent years been disputed. It has been documented that depriving rats of REM sleep specifically leads to death in 3 to 8 weeks (which doesn't happen with depriving test animals of other specific sleep phases), but it has also been documented that humans survive without REM sleep for longer than other animals. There have been tests on humans in which REM sleep was deprived, and all subjects in the study had to quit before the study could run to completion. Obviously, scientists cannot ethically experiment how long it takes for lack of sleep to kill a person.

Boat racers use this technique to avoid dangers at sea. Astronauts use this technique during extended crises, and military personnel, especially Marines, use this technique in training.

Self-testers often "crash" several times while testing and accidentally sleep through for several hours longer than intended.

Forcing the body against the natural mono- or biphasic circadian rhythm has detrimental health effects (esp. cardiac effects and the effects on the corticoid stress axis). Though there are no obvious short-term health problems in polyphasic sleepers, except for recurring bouts of tiredness, long-term polyphasic sleep has not been thoroughly studied for its health effects. Most of what we know of "going against the nature" comes from the research on shift-work schedules.

Critics believe polyphasic sleep quarrels with the natural sleep cycle and cannot be feasible in the long run. It is well known that sleep deprivation has detrimental effects on memory, problem solving, decision making, stress and anxiety levels, muscular strength and endurance. Lack of sufficient sleep also weakens the immune system, decreases the amount of growth hormone produced, and decreases the ability of the body to metabolize sugar. Thus, in addition to health considerations, the productivity of one who deprives himself of needed sleep is likely to be of inferior quality even if increased waking hours allows for increased quantity. Moreover, the notion that REM sleep is the most important phase of sleep, or even necessary for good health, is dubious; monoamine oxidase inhibitors nearly completely abolish REM sleep, yet patients who take MAOIs do not exhibit any obvious cognitive deficits (Siegel, 2001).

Advocates of polyphasic sleep often claim they still feel alert. Skeptics believe this alertness relates to increased adrenaline and cortisol due to eagerness to succeed in their polyphasic experiment and/or eagerness to engage and complete their productive pursuits. Many successful contemporary polyphasic users return to monophasic sleep, though they claim that their return is due to the difficulty of scheduling 20 minute naps every 4 hours.
In other words:

Certain people do it, but only because they are put into a situation that requires it (astronauts, sailors, marines, etc.) They are trained professionals, and have extremely good health. A regular person just feeling like they're gonna do it for the hell of it probably won't manage.

So let me change my statement from before: Nathan, you don't know what the fork you're doing, so don't do it.
Nek wrote: They said "it's not so!" for fear of being killed by the religious theocracy that ruled his country.
Heh, I know, shitty analogy.
Z!re wrote: Stupid suggestible younglings..
OMG! Cliff! JUMP!
Well, if you're referring to me, note that I never advocated the whole uber sleep thing. I simply said that not enough study has been done in this field. I wouldn't try something like this unless I knew enough CREDIBLE study had been done about it. Even then, I work and go to school. It's like a while back, when my friend said "hey man, you wanna lose weight, here's a great way! Go on the Spring Master Cleanser!". The spring master cleanser is a fast where you drink nothing but a mixture of lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper for 10 days. I contemplated it for a while, but then decided that my diet wasn't good enough. I'd come off the thing and probably gain more weight than I had before. I also didn't wanna be at school, shitting my pants every hour (it "cleans you out").
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

No, I was refering to Nathan..
And my bad interpreting:
you sleep 2 hours every 24 hours
As sleeping for two hours, then being up 24 hours.
I never even bothered to visit the site, as it is bullshit. Like I already said: If this was possible, wihout sideeffects. Then why isnt society based on it? Clearly, being able to work for 22hours/24hour period is.. well.. great..

So?..

It's bullshit.. it might be possible for short periods, such as a week, but for longer.. your body would break down.
I have left this dump.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

So true...I'm sure many of the people here have pulled the all-nighters before...remember how much they hurt after awhile? This is abuse to your body, people...
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

I remember puling plenty of them myself too.

Once a 13 night in a roll...that's less than two weeks...took me 4 months to say that I really cought it up...as in...back on track with my biological clock lol.

i did a few after that, but never this bad...you just don't feel the same while you're catching that up. And I'm the one in this community that probably hates to sleep the most of all of us...and the longest...since I've been hating to sleep for as long as I can remember. lol...I never liked it...
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
kalc
Coder

Post by kalc »

Yeh, it really stuffs up your body. Last weekend I went camping andhad a pissup. I didn't get any sleep and the next day I couldn't get to sleep even though I was dead tired. I felt like shit for 3 days and slightly 'out-of-focus'. My eye-co was off and I couldn't do shit all at school.
I need a pen
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Z!re wrote:No, I was refering to Nathan..
And my bad interpreting:
you sleep 2 hours every 24 hours
As sleeping for two hours, then being up 24 hours.
I never even bothered to visit the site, as it is bullshit. Like I already said: If this was possible, wihout sideeffects. Then why isnt society based on it? Clearly, being able to work for 22hours/24hour period is.. well.. great..

So?..

It's bullshit.. it might be possible for short periods, such as a week, but for longer.. your body would break down.
Yeah... the only way it truly can work is if you're on a strict sleep schedule (outlined by people who research this stuff) and you harshly adjust your diet.

It's best left to professionals.