network54.com security breach.

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Michael Calkins
Veteran

Post by Michael Calkins »

I assumed Zip had not used my login to make that false post, because no login information was included in the post. However, it seems that Zip disabled the showing of login information as well as the displaying of email addresses. Zip had previously disabled the showing of IP addresses.

Since neither my correct password nor my correct email address will gain access to my network54 account, I am now quite convinced that Zip compromised it. I do not think Zip could so easily compromise my account here (or my gmail account). Just before I tried changing my network54.com password, I changed my password here, my gmail password, and my myspace password.

To all who read this: I strongly recommend changing your passwords. Make them long strings of random (to the extent possible) mixed case alphanumeric characters. Doing so limits the successfulness of brute force and dictionary attacks. However, I repeat that Zip probably did not use brute force or dictionary means to gain the network54 passwords, as network54 uses an automatic lockout. Also, I recommend that you all verify the security of your firewalls and operating systems, just in case Zip intends to hack individual PCs (to search for stored passwords).

What could Zip hope to gain from this? Obviously he/she is trying to retaliate for being banned. The disruption that has resulted must be gratifying to her. The fear she believes she causes in others must boost her ego. (This is a terrorist action.) Also, she gains a lot of attention doing this. (and threads like this, I believe, work in her favor, in that regard. (yeah I know...)).

However, she has also alienated the entire QBASIC Forum community. Any friends she had will now distance themselves from her. She made a lot of enemies in the last few days, besides the ones she had already made by her racist statements (she believes non-whites are subhuman). In the long run, Zip will lose. At best, total alienation from the entire community, at worst, criminal conviction (or even vigilante retaliation from angry forum members, especially if the deleted posts/forums cannot be recovered). It sucks to be Zip. What a pathetic loser.
Bring on the Maulotaurs! oops...
I like to slay Disciples of D'Sparil...
Anonymous

hmmmmmmmm

Post by Anonymous »

I dunno Michael, IT hacked 4 of my passwords to the other QB sites also. Must have cracked something. Had to know some passwords! Even though two were identical.

I really don't know where Pete has been all of this time! I don't think he would be a neutral party either. Monitoring site now with 6 visitors and no posts all day except for Zip. Zuwer, Ben and Sez were in chat today laughing and I took a picture.

N54 will probably never strip proxies. This place does as far as I found!
So we will still have to endure Zip and a few other anonymouse people.

As to your password. Was it
May the force of god be with you
Just kidding or was I lol.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

There's only one person the forum should be released to Zip, and that's the rightful owner, no one else.
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

If this is the same Zip I knew from years ago, I believe I've got a picture laying around somewhere...
roy
Veteran

Post by roy »

Please show it, at least we will know whether Zip is male or female. LOL.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Not you too, nodt.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

fork it, I'm done. Don't bother me. I'm gone. Bye.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

That was ... odd.
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

zip wrote:fork it, I'm done. Don't bother me. I'm gone. Bye.

Nope, you got things to fix first pal.

MystikShadows

Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

MystikShadows wrote:
zip wrote:fork it, I'm done. Don't bother me. I'm gone. Bye.

Nope, you got things to fix first pal.
I hope that doesn't backfire.
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

what's to backfire? he destroyed everything that was important there already...and well when he posted that he/done was done I checked the forum with a proxy and it's saying the index was deleted by it's owner. damage was long done when I posted this...

There's nothing left to backfire except give it all back to who it belongs to and try to fix it if backups. exist which I think they do.

MystikShadows

Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

zip wrote:Not you too, nodt.
It IS you, hehe. Awesome. :D
roy wrote:Please show it, at least we will know whether Zip is male or female. LOL.
Male. I don't know where the pic is though...and besides, it's really old...we're talking reign of efnet #quickbasic days, when it had intelligent people in it.

Quite honestly though, I could care less about network54...a place largely filled with elitist snots, clinging to antiquated technique as if it were the savior of the modern world. It really doesn't surprise me that it was hacked...I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner with how abusive some of the people are over there.
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

What we need are fresh forums with clean posts and content. At QB45, I don't let any flaming or rants slip by. So netiquette is required if a user wishes to post. That's something that's been a problem on many forums.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

What we need is for people to stop spitting in their roots...we're all (or were all) qb coders. some moved to FB, some C++ and a few to Pascal ;).

None the less, there was a time in the community (not that long ago too) when if this would have happened to that forum or any other, reactions would have been a whole lot different than what they are today. some of it is shameful to say the least. And i'm not talking QB and FB wars...I'm talking about the people, what we "used" to be all about.

I don't have anything else to say at the moment.
Last edited by MystikShadows on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MystikShadows

tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

I definitely agree with you on that. It seemed like only a few years ago there would've been more action done to stop something like this. Plus it never really got this bad. There were always a few rants and raves but nothing to the extent of this.

Plus you'd have to be pretty low or have very narrow insight to get joy from taking down a QB forum. That's like taking candy from a child and talking about it like holding up a bank.

Where has QB gone?
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

well by looking at a few IP#'s here...we have someone using multiple(4) accounts put the same IP#.

this of course depends on if someone is using static or dynamic ip's.

this is really frowned upon here. i spent one week cleaning up the accounts last year and hold a dim view of multiples.

as to any other issue i'll pass it along to pete and see what he thinks
which may or may not include someone getting banned.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

okay some semblance of order has been made..well see what happens next.

needless to say its probably not a good idea to have the same password
at different forums..incase one gets hacked they can't jump over to the
next one and mess with your account.
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

And it's better to use longer and more complicated passwords. Most of my passwords are 16-characters of hexadecimals.
burger2227
Veteran

PW

Post by burger2227 »

Yes, I got lazy about it and have used them for years. My main concern was not about a posting name, but my account at QbasicStation has also been compromised and the owner is Rarely ever around.

Could you also delete the post above with my accounts listed? Thanks for all of your help!

Ted
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Not that I condone Zip's actions, but from my perspective you can't say it was uncalled for.

Lachie changes his 8 years old yahoo account password.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff