QBinux news

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Seb McClouth
Veteran

QBinux news

Post by Seb McClouth »

As many of you pps know, Novix plays a big part in QBinux as well. With permission of Z!re, the writer of Novix, I will be releasing a NXR, a so called Novix Cross Reference on the server of Zoastertech, which holds the home of QBinux as well.

This all will around the end of this month.

QBinux itself is still stuck a filesystem problem which hopefully we can resolve.

grtz
QBinux is a Linux distribution with the aim of integrating the work of the vast community of free software developers at Pete's QBASIC Site in order to create a modern, performant, safe and easy to use system for system administrators and desktop users.
Zoasterboy
Coder

Post by Zoasterboy »

Cool, I've been watching for Qbinux updates, I would like to help but I've had my hands full. How goes development?
-yah
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

Well development is currently at hold, due to the Novix Cross Reference project. Hopefull this will help in finding and fixing the filesystem problem for QBinux.

Oh, btw, if there are people who are interested in building a GUI for QBinux, lemme know, make a rough version, and let me see. I want to have a stable QBinux version before the end of next month and before the end of this year I want to inplent a very Basic GUI.

grtz
QBinux is a Linux distribution with the aim of integrating the work of the vast community of free software developers at Pete's QBASIC Site in order to create a modern, performant, safe and easy to use system for system administrators and desktop users.
Brandon
Coder

We can help.

Post by Brandon »

If you let us know what you are looking for, then the guys at the QB GUI Blog, http://qbguiblog.xetaspace.net , would be happy to help with a GUI.
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

hey...

Yes... QBinux still lives... but it's on lifesupport. But I can't keep you guys of the info. Right, so what happens now on the QBinux-front:

I've taken the last version of Novix (v2.5.0.3) and am trying to make an enhanced version (v2.5.0.4), which I might release on my site (if that's okay with Z!re ofcourse!).

I tried to implend code from Novix into QBinux but for several reasons it caused loads of problems. So right now, I'm just trying to figure out every ins and outs of Novix (sounds like Linus working on Minix, lol :D), so that I can build QBinux from scratch without using Novix, or it's code.

The alpha-version of v2.5.0.4 is pretty much alive, and seems to work. Basically, I stripped out the graphic 'boot', added 2 new commands, and next thing is working on the login-thing. I've got some other things in mind which I wanna work on, and if they prove to work, I can get on with new things.

Just reply if you wanna be updates on the progress!!

Grtz
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

The Novix-version I'm building is not coming out for the public, sorry.

QBinux... is back in the running...
I just had to return to square one...
So what I have now, is just the core in it's basics...

Right now it only is able to retrieve date and time (in the Linux, with bitshifting and bcd2bin converting), contains the routines for the NVXFS (Yes, I'm still using it for starts) and we have a somewhat working virtual memory system.

Well, the thing I've build in the last 3 weeks, is completly compilable. I only need to add a schedular for the multitasking or multiprocessing. Until then, I'll keep you guys posted. And if you would like to check out the source code, mail or pm me.

Grtz
Seb
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

BIG NEWS ON THE QBINUX-FRONT.

As of now, we can speak of a working core. Although not yet complete but it's functional.

As we speak, well I write, and you read, I'm working on the password thing and QBash, the equivalent of Bash. The SYSVINIT-routines I had build in the past, and lost, and just recently found them by accident, prove to work. They're also in basic stage and need loads of work, but it's functional.

For now that's enough, atleast for me.
As soon as I got the whole deal (QBinux-kernel, SysVinit, PWD, QBash) running, I'll post it up to the alpha-tester and we'll see wot's gonna happen next.

btw; only the Filesystem routines from Novix are mostly inplented.

Grtz
Seb
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

Alpha-testers...

Mail me (don't pm me) on mcclouth.software@gmail.com with subject alpha-testing. I'll get the alpha-version to you asap.

The pogress of the alpha-test will result in a beta-test, which will result in a tech-release for the public.

Grtz
Seb

P.S. guys, not all at once!!