Chronicles of Galia: The First Mission (New QB-Only game)

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

CAD

Chronicles of Galia: The First Mission (New QB-Only game)

Post by CAD »

http://www.rphaven.org/gs/cog1/e-main.htm

This game was created by a friend of mine named "GeminiSaint", and myself. It started as a VB6 project back in the fall of 2004, as surprise re-make and re-telling of one of his oldest QB games named "Adventure". It took me about 2 years to finish the VB project.

Apparently, GeminiSaint liked it so much that he decided to make it canon to his series. He re-made the entire game using QBasic, adding countless improvements, graphical enhancements, and new game areas and items. I couldn't believe my eyes when I played his re-make. Now, it's the fall of 2007, 3 years later, and the QB remake is finally finished.

Many of the tile graphics and beep sound sequences were stolen from old NES games, but the storyline, character art, programming, and level design are all original.

We worked really hard on this game, so comments are very appreciated.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

thats pertty good...all in qbasic you say?
CAD

Post by CAD »

I tried to convince him to port the game over to FB so that he could include the original soundtrack I wrote for the VB version, but he was worried about the "learning curve". He's not really a serious programmer, you see.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

According to the readme file, it was compiled with FirstBasic. I had no problem getting it to load up in Windows XP Professional with SP2.

I haven't played it yet because it's really late and it uses the PC speaker for sound and it doesn't look like there's any way to shut that off (don't want to wake up the wife and child), but I've got to say that from what I've read in the readme, I don't have high expectations for this game. The storyline is waaaay too much of an overused clich?, and from the screenshots, the visual presentation could use a LOT of work. But alas, not all programmers are artists, musicians, and/or effective storyline authors. Points given for effort at least. I'll give it a go on Wednesday.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Tile by tile movement was a downer. QB games moved form that since like, 1998. Oh, well. I hate to put down the game, but the story was the biggest disappointment. It reuses the zillion times used opening where a king summons you and sends you to a quest to save the kingdom. And what?s up with the name of the main hero? Jean-Pierre LeBlanc?

I actually like the EGA-graphics and interface, but miss pixel by pixel movement and animation.

Maybe the game picks up later and hinders all these flaws. I hope it?s not very short.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
k7
Coder

Post by k7 »

Pessimist.
BadMrBox
Veteran

Post by BadMrBox »

Tile by tile movement was a downer. QB games moved form that since like, 1998.
Bah, nonsense.
Damn, I guess I'm gonna download dosbox and test it.