MOoRPG - Engine Build 276, light FX added.

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Z!re
Veteran

MOoRPG - Engine Build 276, light FX added.

Post by Z!re »

Nothing special

No source included, though MOo is open source. I just feelt it to be unnescessary to release the source for each minor build I make. If you want it, feel free to ask, preferably over email, MSN or PM.

Move by using mouse, click and hold to move
[No longer downloadable, will post new FB version later.]
The archive is 4.71MB, and uncompressed it is almost 300MB!

The map (press m, followed by esc and then any key) is broken, I'm redoing it and didnt feel like fixing it at the moment, it doesent matter much though.

Press s to test the crappy smoothing function, any key to resume game.

The engine is currently very slow, because of the smoothing function, which is running all the time next to the mouse.

The three areas to the left of the mouse are lights, red, green and blue. The area to the right of thoose is smoothed (Like I said above)

To do:
Fix so that if you are moving and move the mouse below the menubar, keep moving (That is, if the mouse was pressed before moving down below the menubar, keep moving, otherwise do the menu stuff) which would make it a lot easier to controll movement.

Improve the loading time, I can decrease it quite a bit I think.

Re-add object handling, again, for the millionth time. This time though, I know what not to do, and I hope i will get it to work, at acceptable speeds.

Finish the VM and interpreter for the scripts

Final note: Could you please post your machine specs (CPU, OS, RAM and RAM speed if you know it) and the DFN value, DFN is the value found to the right of FPS, inside the paranthesis.

This demo sucks :D
Last edited by Z!re on Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

The laptop I normaly use (though it is currently in need of a new power cord ) has 128 meg ram (used 2 have 256, but a stick went bad :( mabye get new stick soon), 600 meghertz processor, pent. 3, Dell latidude CPX, and I have windows 98. I am also thinking about partitioning and getting Linix too, please PM me with your comments about linix (good, bad, worth the trash?).

Thanks all :!:
Last edited by {Nathan} on Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Right... Did you try the engine?...

I need comp. specs + DFN value, the one inside paranthesis, to the right of the FPS. Please..
I have left this dump.
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Intel 1600mhz, 516 megs ram(133mhz) and win xp.

Dfn rolled numbers a bit under 300000. :wink:
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I can't. I told you, my laptop needs a new power cord. But, on my Xp computer (dont know specs, its my dads) I got like 650000 or somewhere around there
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

On average, my DFN value hovered betwen 683,000 and 740,000 and had an average value of around 713,000. However, at one point right after the program started, the value went as high as 941,000.

My computer's specs are as follows:
Windows XP Professional
2.0 GHZ Athlon 64 Barton 3000+ processor
1536MB of RAM
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 with 128MB graphics RAM

Come to think of it, I ran this program with about a dozen other programs running simultaneously... so that might skew the results: iTunes, Mozilla Firefox, Vegas Video 4.0 (editing a big video in the background can't be good for specs), AIM, AVG Virus Protection, "Degree Navigator" (java app for registering for college), a few Windows explorer windows and Notepad.

Anyway, the engine scrolled smoothly. There wasn't much to do in it, though, so I can't give much other feedback.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

what version of firefox? 0.9 and below have a memory leak in XP.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Heh, it seems I will soon have to post RAM busspeed specific specifications to be able to run MOo.

My specs:
Win 98
850MHz
128MB SDRAM 133MHz
DFN: ~80000

Lurah Thanks =)

Pete, Thanks, So far it's only the scrolling engine, I'm moving everything to XMS, ran out of conventionall memory with the object handler, so I'm remaking it. things should be a lot faster now.

I'm developing MOo after my computer, that is, if it works on my comp (speedwise) I'm happy, if it doesent work on a 400mhz, tough for you.

Nathan1993, when ou get your comp back up, please let me know, it would be interessting to test it on a machine with lower specs then mine.

Sorry about this crappy demo, but I needed to test if the new XMS engine really works, and if the light and smoothing alogs were too innefficient (they suck, esp the smoothing)

Ohh well, it is still in progress, I havent abandoned it yet =), hehe...

Working on the script engine, trying to get it event driven without loosing too much speed, it's hard...

Also, pete, the spike you get in the beginning is because the MOoEngine is trying to stabilize your FPS at 30, it noticed you had a very hgh FPS, and increase DFN to make up for it, DFN got too high, and FPS dropped below 30, it then decreased DFN and so on.

Usually, the spike (or drop if you have a slower computer then mine) should stabilize, along with the FPS after 3 to 5 seconds.

DFN is the delay, or number of empty for/next loops your computer can perform in 1/30th of a second (roughly, take into account the screen updating, map reading etc etc)

Multiply DFN by 30, and you should have a rough estimate on the number of FOR/NEXTs your compuer can do in one second.
I have left this dump.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Why the hell do you have a 256 mb file fileld with zeros?
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

It's "only" 250MB :P , it's for the collision layer... Serves no purpose yet...
I have left this dump.

Post by Guest »

nice,
ca ~540000 on my comp
athlon xp 2500+
256 mb ram (ddr 32000)
gf 440mx w 8xAgp
and yes forgot, win XP pro SP2

Post by Guest »

So why would you include it then ?
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Cause I didnt think about it...

The entire Tiles folder is obsolete too, I only use it while deving..

I just selected the EXE and the Mods folder, and compressed it.. the zip was small, i didnt think about it anymore :P
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

It went very smoothly. I got 4000-1500 uhh... things. It steadily declined but the FPS didn't. Nice engine. Runes smoothly. Also, is the stuff next to the mouse supposed to be all disorted? Still, nice engine.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Yup, it's supposed to be blurred/distorted
I have left this dump.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Some ingame portrait pictures:

Black Demon thingy concept art:

Behold, and drool =)
I have left this dump.