Links Section Updated

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

Links Section Updated

Post by Pete »

<p><strong>Links Section Updated</strong> -- Posted by <a href="mailto:pberg1@ithaca.edu">Pete</a> on June 28, 2005<br>
Tonight I added about thirty more QB links to the links section, all with banner images and ratings. Also, a few weeks ago, I purged all of the dead links from the links section with the generous help of mennonite. But rather than rewrite the whole story, I'm just going to quote the news brief from QB Express where I explained everything:<br><br><blockquote><b>Mennonite's "No Broken Links" Project</b><br>QB Express contributor and member of The QBasic Forum (QBasic.com), mennonite, has begun a project to end the problems of broken QB links on the Internet. Recently he launched <a href="http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/me ... .htm">this site</a> and began reviewing the links pages of QB sites, searching out both the working and the broken links. He has done four sites so far, and hopes to finish 100 links pages by the beginning of 2006. According to mennonite: "the premise is, there are far too many dead qb links online. While it isn't possible to fix them all, it's my hope that this page will put a more than just noticeable dent in the problem."<br><br>Already mennonite's project is starting to work. This month, he has helped me take care of the broken QB links on Pete's QB Site. In the year since I created my 350 QB links archive, nearly 50 of them have gone down (which should give you a picture of how fast QB sites go down). He searched through my links section and sent me a list of all the dead links so that I could easily bring the section up to date. Hopefully other QB site owners will welcome the help he hopes to provide and the dead QB links epidemic will begin to subside.</blockquote></p>

Post by guest »

i know that it would make your project take even longer
but is there a way to break your links section further
into 2 sections:

1 active sites...IE posted/updated within last 6-12 months
2 there but no longer supported/updated

Post by guest »

not to be annoying "i am the king" :)
but could we scrutinize "qbasic" links

this link on menno's site has absolutly nothing on it
qbasic related i clicked on everything it went to no
qbasic material whatsoever...

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/2445/
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Maybe I'll make a new section called "Active Sites" (which have been updated in the past six months) and another called "Active Forums". I don't have time to do that right now, but I'll keep it in mind. I'm also going to make a separate FreeBasic Links section sometime soon.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Re: Links Section Updated

Post by MystikShadows »

Pete wrote:<p><strong>Links Section Updated</strong> -- Posted by <a href="mailto:pberg1@ithaca.edu">Pete</a> on June 28, 2005<br>
Tonight I added about thirty more QB links to the links section, all with banner images and ratings. Also, a few weeks ago, I purged all of the dead links from the links section with the generous help of mennonite. But rather than rewrite the whole story, I'm just going to quote the news brief from QB Express where I explained everything:<br><br><blockquote><b>Mennonite's "No Broken Links" Project</b><br>QB Express contributor and member of The QBasic Forum (QBasic.com), mennonite, has begun a project to end the problems of broken QB links on the Internet. Recently he launched <a href="http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/me ... .htm">this site</a> and began reviewing the links pages of QB sites, searching out both the working and the broken links. He has done four sites so far, and hopes to finish 100 links pages by the beginning of 2006. According to mennonite: "the premise is, there are far too many dead qb links online. While it isn't possible to fix them all, it's my hope that this page will put a more than just noticeable dent in the problem."<br><br>Already mennonite's project is starting to work. This month, he has helped me take care of the broken QB links on Pete's QB Site. In the year since I created my 350 QB links archive, nearly 50 of them have gone down (which should give you a picture of how fast QB sites go down). He searched through my links section and sent me a list of all the dead links so that I could easily bring the section up to date. Hopefully other QB site owners will welcome the help he hopes to provide and the dead QB links epidemic will begin to subside.</blockquote></p>
I would like to commend Mennonite for this valiant effort. One thing that sets a community apart from another is it's ability to keep itself updated. I can think of other communities that suffer from the same DLS (dead link syndrom) greatly in it's appeal to new members and that's the Ada community. that's why I created my ada world website to begin with http://www.adaworld.com the main reason for the design was because aside commercial websites, most other websites were/are very old in design and in maintenance and in this case the Ada programming language is a high security mission critical language and still websites have broken links in them and "last updated on: ___/___/______ dating to more than 5 years....so I created Ada World to help break that spell and give the Ada community something that can server as a central gateway to what's really going on in Ada. It's been quite a success because of the website I did but also because of the users/website (commercial or others) owners willing to cooperate in rejuvenating the Ada community a bit. I'm featured on all commercial websites that have a "related links or partners" section which I happen to be quite proud and fond of :-).

I certainly think the QMunity deserves such an effort as well and Mennonite's initiative is a great one in my book. One that has been long awaited I'm sure. And I hope all website owners involved in the QMunity will be open to such a help :-).

In the quotes of Adigun A. Polack d=:D=b to you Mennonite :-)
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
mennonite

yay!

Post by mennonite »

i wasn't sure any of this would be received well... only that it seemed important and i knew my own intentions... i'm really glad you guys feel this way about it.

i have data for ranking the links pages i've processed, which is always more than the number of pages of links that end up posted on my site.

a couple things: it's already been suggested that i focus on active sites, and the thing is, that's not really where the big problem is. but it is fixable isn't it? the idea of separating the project into active and nonactive is the way to go. thanks for that idea.

another thing that can be done is, if someone finds a links page with *a* broken link, just leave me a url to it on my voyforum (site links to it, it's just so people can leave me a message.)

i don't put a page up unless it has at least 3 broken links, but i'll worry about how many it has. if you want a links page evaluated, just send me the url. i'll put submitted pages as a higher priority, since there's someone specific wanting it. thanks guys.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

mennonite wrote:it's already been suggested that i focus on active sites, and the thing is, that's not really where the big problem is.
I agree that you'll find a lot more broken links on older, inactive sites. But the fact that they're inactive means that they're not going to be fixed no matter what you do.

I definitely say you should concentrate on active sites, because there is a good chance that the webmaster will actually update their links section. When you assess the links on a page that hasn't been updated since 1997 or 1999, you know that the webmaster is never going to update it. All your work will have been in vain.

Anyhow, just my two cents. I just don't want you to waste your time. :)
mennonite

oh i appreciate that

Post by mennonite »

only old sites that aren't going to be updated are part of the project too. at least people will be able to know from looking at the hosted version which links work and which don't.
not to mention that when those sites do fall (i ended up hosting qbasic.com's links, which haven't been updated in how long) down, the links that are still good will still be available. sort of link a links page wayback machine. but if qbasic.com doesn't come back, i may stop hosting the broken from qbasic.com.
after all, technically qbasic.com doesn't have any links now, let alone broken ones. we'll see.
i'm going to be making changes to the way i do this based on feedback. i have to figure out what changes are most important and beneficial.

there's always a place to leave me suggestions, even when this thread has scrolled down to be replaced with something more interesting :) i do appreciate the feedback though. a lot.