Post by Tinlau »

Hi, every body, I'm newbie :D
qbasicfreak
Veteran

Post by qbasicfreak »

Nice to see a new member!

Cheers
Qbasicfreak

(Next time post in general discussion ;) This is for site news.)
coma8coma1
Veteran

Post by coma8coma1 »

Greetings!

I've always been a noob! lol :wink:
Kiyotewolf
Veteran

Post by Kiyotewolf »

I'm an oldbie, as well as a new moderator of the board.

You can ask me anything you'd like.
Going to start a thread just for that here in a min.

~Kiyote!

BTW, nice to meet you.
Banana phone! We need more lemon pledge. * exploding fist of iced tea! * I see your psycho cat and counter with a duck that has a broken leg, in a cast.
GarryRicketson
Veteran

New Moderator ?

Post by GarryRicketson »

Are you realy ? Now thats news,...Image
from Garry
Kiyotewolf
Veteran

Post by Kiyotewolf »

I'm not board owner, or a major MOD, I'm a secondary moderator.
Burger is the head moderator.

~Kiyote!
Banana phone! We need more lemon pledge. * exploding fist of iced tea! * I see your psycho cat and counter with a duck that has a broken leg, in a cast.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

LOL, does that mean I am a boss? FINALLY! :lol:

I'll try to take it easy on you. If you need any help, let me know. Mostly it is spammers that join and never post. They just have a web page link that goes to a commercial site.

A member would have to go through the member list to find the web page link, so I fail to see the sense in it. They may also be hitting the links themselves so that the page gets more hits, I dunno...

Otherwise it is pretty quiet here. TrainWreck (lol) has started posting stuff recently. That's about it.

Welcome aboard Kiyote

Ted
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
Kiyotewolf
Veteran

Post by Kiyotewolf »

@burger2227

I've gleaned a bit of intent from Pete, he is glad that you and I are interested in keeping the Pete's Qbasic Site Forum alive.
You ARE the boss, you keep shop around her quite nicely.
I look up to YOU as a fellow moderator, so YES, you are currently head honcho here right now.

~Kiyote!

I'm going to be posting tutorials on how to make QBasic behave like FreeBasic, giving QBasic programmers a taste of SVGA graphics, and EMS/XMS memory extensions that actually work.
Every implementation before mine using XMS/EMS has failed, and I found out why.
I'm going to post intricate details on the XMS/EMS conundrum, and how I solved it.
My HUGE PROJECT, a sprite editor, only works because I got XMS/EMS support working 100% with NO ERRORS.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Sounds good to me! I'll be interested in seeing that. I still use QB on my XP and 98 machines. So far I don't really need QB64, but I will eventually. They can't last forever, but then again, neither can I.

Ted
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
Kiyotewolf
Veteran

Post by Kiyotewolf »

"They can't last forever, but then again, neither can I."
Ubuntu Linux & Wine, and they can last forever.

~Kiyote!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Kiyotewolf wrote:@burger2227

I've gleaned a bit of intent from Pete, he is glad that you and I are interested in keeping the Pete's Qbasic Site Forum alive.
You ARE the boss, you keep shop around her quite nicely.
I look up to YOU as a fellow moderator, so YES, you are currently head honcho here right now.

~Kiyote!

I'm going to be posting tutorials on how to make QBasic behave like FreeBasic, giving QBasic programmers a taste of SVGA graphics, and EMS/XMS memory extensions that actually work.
Every implementation before mine using XMS/EMS has failed, and I found out why.
I'm going to post intricate details on the XMS/EMS conundrum, and how I solved it.
My HUGE PROJECT, a sprite editor, only works because I got XMS/EMS support working 100% with NO ERRORS.
I have some SVGA work, if anyone wants I can post it if I find it. Speaking of XMS/EMS, have you ever used unreal mode?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_mode

Using this limits your code to work only on pure dos or dosbox, but it's great.
Kiyotewolf
Veteran

Post by Kiyotewolf »

"this limits your code to work only on pure dos or dosbox"

I've gotten my XMS/EMS solution to run under WinXP's regular DOS Window, as long as I had a *.PIF or a *.LNK file set up first that demanded EMS/XMS support be given to the DOS window/box.

~Kiyote!

I wonder if what I did classifies as "UNREAL MODE," I will have to look into that.
Thanks for pointing that out for me. I'll compare notes.

"I have some SVGA work" ~ yes please post examples.
I'm going to be posting the original source of my SVGA routines, as well as all the modifications I did to make it work 2X better.

[3RD EDIT]
The reason that I want to push the SVGA stuff so much in QB, QuickB, is because I found out a trick that lets you use the lowest 2 bits of the RGB color value as a 1 or 2 bit greyscale, and like how 3D ppls use a gray over a 3D object say to map the normals, I'm going to use my small sliver of grayscale as embeded markings of level data, physics data.

I can set bit 1 of either the R, the G, or the B, and say that bit is the horizontal floor indicator.
You can detect, by the individual pixel, at the main sprite's feet, whether it's standing on a floor, or something with no floor, aka gravity should pull them down further.

I can then use the other 2 channels, those other 2 bits, for vertical walls facing left, and vertical walls facing right.

I could use bit 2, in any channel, to show that an enemy is occupying space.
This is all very technical, and again, will be detailed extensively, with working example QB / QuickB files to tinker with.
You'll be able to draw a packman maze, simply by having a trail of bit 1 in any one channel, around the border, and if you give the screen a slightly complex background, the slight shift in color, barely percievable, will be impossible to detect, but your game sprite will have a path it can follow, embedded in the image itself.

The reason bits 1 and 2 in the color channels are free to be used like this, cause if you upscale your SCREEN 13 colors to SVGA, you have to do this.

R = (R * 4) + 3

or

R = (R * 4)

Notice, that 3 is bits one and bit two.
If I do NOT add 3 to the color value which was shifted from 6 bit color to 24 bit color, then it is there, empty, and can be used for the aforementioned greyscale technique.