QBExpress Related

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

syn9
Coder

Post by syn9 »

i lived in a friends walk in closet for almost an entire year while i was homeless. ~sigh~ the good 'ol days... >)
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Pete wrote:Allright, QB Express #21: Back in production. I've moved into the walk-in closet at my friends' place....it's small, but pretty comfortable. It wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't so ungodly hot. I'm living in the San Fernando Valley, just north of Hollywood, and it's just about the most godawful hot place on the planet.

I'm off to go buy a second fan...hopefully I'll be able to cool if off a bit more in here. (The first fan is shooting directly into my computer right now because it kept on overheating.)
Hi Pete,
I lived in the San Fernando Valley, Granada Hills, for 10 years. Yes, it does get pretty hot. Where exactly are you?

I lived in Arizona for 4 years, and the heat gets much worse there, even though it's "dry heat." But, let me tell you, in all my travels, including Texas, Charleston SC, and Brazil, the most awful hot place I've ever been to is Martinez de la Torre in the state of Puebla, Mexico. Extremely hot and humid, full of all kinds of crawling things. You have to sleep in a bed with a pavilion over it. Looks like a cheesecloth net to keep the bugs from getting to you.

A trick I learned in Veracruz, which gets very hot too. Instead of drinking cold stuff, try drinking hot coffee with hot milk from a big glass, like an ice cream soda glass. It works! You get hot inside, but the evaporation it produces makes you feel cool.

Hope you survive the heat in the Valley.

Regards...... Moneo
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I'm living in Sherman Oaks. I know it's not the *hottest* place in the world, but I'm in a tight closet with no ventilation, and my roommates don't want to turn on the A/C so that we can save money on the electric bill. You can see how it would get pretty hot. But I'm not complaining...it's better than the last place I was living by a long shot.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Oh, hello. Any chance the new issue will be out before Wednesday next week? College is closing for the summer soon. I can't belive I might miss this issue.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I sure hope so. This magazine always takes WAY longer than I ever expect it to take, but I'm getting close.

Last night, I spent close to four hours putting together the Qlympics nominations ballot! I would have never thought I'd need that much time to make a simple voting form. But I wanted it done right, so I put in the time.

Anyway, I'm still planning to try for another June issue, if I can shake it. I really do want to get back on schedule.
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Pete wrote:I'm living in Sherman Oaks. I know it's not the *hottest* place in the world, but I'm in a tight closet with no ventilation, and my roommates don't want to turn on the A/C so that we can save money on the electric bill. You can see how it would get pretty hot. But I'm not complaining...it's better than the last place I was living by a long shot.
Sherman Oaks, right in the middle of the Valley. How can you survive in a closet with no ventilation and of course no a/c? Did you try drinking the hot coffee and milk?

Just an idea, if you have some sort of ice chest or similar, you might get some ice cubes from the nearest store or gas station, and have the fan blow across the ice. Might help. And keep close tabs on the temperature of your PC.

Another idea is these small, portable airconditioning units that run on normal house current. Maybe your roommates will let you run it. You might be able to rent one.

Hope you survive this ordeal.

Regards..... Moneo