bad news

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Sidu
Coder

bad news

Post by Sidu »

well.. MY computer is having some errr... major problems.. and this computer down right sucks.. (my parents).. i doubt ill be on much until a. i fix my computer or b. i decide to buy a new one... either way.. it might be awhile.. lol which p/o's me.. anyway.. ill be back when i can to the forums and site to work on my learning.. oh.. and the problem with my computer is .. well there are 2 problems.. first.. sometimes it would act like it was turned on.. (processor cooling, fans, few noises.. but no lights.. and nothing would come up on the monitor.. just a orange inactive light.. and the second problem would be the computer restarting.. i would remove the bios battery for a minute or so and place it back in.. and the computer would start.. then restart.. then id have to take the bios back out.. and do it over to start the comp.. so.. i backed all my big files i needed and was getting ready to reformat.. and now the computer wont turn on long enough.. or even turn on at all.. it does the no light thing (while acting like it's on).. so now i cant even reformat.. and i dont have any clues of what to do.. if anyone has any ideas besides buying a new computer.. please share, ill be back using my parents computer (sadly) to see if anyone has any response.. anyway.. thanks for everything.. cya all later --Sidu
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I'll make a list for ya with questions:
  • How old is your computer?
    What's the last thing you have done with your pc?
    Did sumfin strange happend the last time you still could use your pc?
grtz
Seb[/list]
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

not being a computer expert, I would not know, but it seems as if your bios may have crashed/ been affected by a virus... other than that, sounds like an issue with your motherboard.
Veteran

Post by Guest »

I think It could be a problem with the power supply
lurah-
Veteran

Re: Reply

Post by lurah- »

Steve Jobs wrote:I think It could be a problem with the power supply
Yes, that is one possibility. I had once same kind of problems after lightning hit near here. I guess new pc's are protected againt those ones but it wasnt new pc...even then.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Yeah, power supply too... and if you get one, dont go get a crappy one. Make sure you have a surge protecter... my dad always got cheap ones, we had to replace them 3 times in 6 months. Then we finally convinced him to get a good one... it has lasted for 2 and a half years.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I have a 'crappy one' which has run for 4 years, has been down for 2 years... and it still works... anywayz...

I had a 1 year old tv... lighting struck... byebye tv... rest of the electronic stuff, no problem... tv was out... pc was on...

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

You could try to use another battery... see if that helps... if it doesn't... test it you system with another power supply... if that doesn't work... either your motherboard or either your processor has died in the process... been there done that with an old pentium 1, 166 mhz, which ran faster than my father's work pc, which was a pentium 3, 400 mhz.

grtz
Seb
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I know what you mean. In DOS, I have a Pentium 133mhz that runs faster than a Pentium 3 600mhz DOS in windows... but that really just shows how much windows (98) dos emulation sucks in some cases... video... no... but text, in DOS 6.22, yes. On ocassion.
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

well.. it isnt that old of a computer.. but it isnt brand new.. ill try the new battery and powersupply thing.. i have both.. anyway im still buying a new computer.. but id like to fix my desktop.. lol anyway thanks for the help guys.. and ill be back to tell u how it worked out
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

ok i tried a new battery... nothing different happened... and i dont think imma even try the powersupply.. the computer seems to get enough power.. i mean the processor fan works.. and everything
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

yes wait... remove every plug (power plugs, not light, not buttons) from you mainboard. Only attach the power plugs of main board, so don't plugin you cdrom's dvd's, diskdrives, harddrives and try to boot... btw do plug you cpu fan...

if that doesn't work... you've got yourselfs a dead mainboard.

grtz
Seb
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

will try
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

well.. i tried.. and it did the same thing has been
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

Still 2 possibilities: a dead cpu or mainboard.

Reason why I let ya do all this, is because I've been there myself.
First was because I had connected my plugs to fast.

2nd time was when my pc really died.
RIP
Pentium I - 166Mhz
"He who was faster than the PIII-300Mhz of me father..."
grtz
Seb