QB64 Down for Days! ?

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Anthony.R.Brown
Veteran

QB64 Down for Days! ?

Post by Anthony.R.Brown »

Yes! the QB64 Site is down! ? it has been for Days! has it finally bit the Dust! :lol:

http://qb64.net/" target="_blank

A.R.B
waltersmind

Re: QB64 Down for Days! ?

Post by waltersmind »

Anthony,

I do wonder what happened. If I hadn't been on the QB64 forum when it went down, I would of thought Galleon pulled the plug. But, while I was on there, it appeared the database crashed first. All of the sudden, I received a database not found error. I was able to go to the main page, but then the next day, I got a, "Server not Found" error. Now, the server seems to be back up, but you get a, "502 - Bad Request" error.

It must of been a bad crash. I wonder if Galleon lost everything in the forum.

I was having so much fun on QB64.net.
Anthony.R.Brown
Veteran

waltersmind wrote:Anthony,

I do wonder what happened. If I hadn't been on the QB64 forum when it went down, I would of thought Galleon pulled the plug. But, while I was on there, it appeared the database crashed first. All of the sudden, I received a database not found error. I was able to go to the main page, but then the next day, I got a, "Server not Found" error. Now, the server seems to be back up, but you get a, "502 - Bad Request" error.

It must of been a bad crash. I wonder if Galleon lost everything in the forum.

I was having so much fun on QB64.net.

Hi Walter

Good to hear from you again!...Really strange all this about the QB64 Site But for some reason I thought this might happen One day!
I started to get the Feeling when GL Qb64 came in and lot's of People started having problems with it! and it has got Embarrassingly worse! I am sure everyone would like to just go back to SDL and Bin the whole GL thing :)

Anthony.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Galleon would have said something if he was giving up. At least he would have kept the WIKI and Forum download links available. The site was paying for itself with ads. I think something major happened to a computer to kill it all of a sudden like this.
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
Anthony.R.Brown
Veteran

If the QB64 Server was running Linux I am Sure it would Never! have happened!...

http://www.serverwatch.com/article.php/ ... utions.htm" target="_blank
stxaxtic

Post by stxaxtic »

Just wanna add my two osbservations:

I) The qb64 website has crashed for a days-long span before, but never for this many days.

II) A new user (forget his name) made a recent post that utterly shreds qb64 (and indirectly Galleon himself) over the lack of speed and efficiency. Specifically he ranted (probably correctly) that much of qb64 is a non-improvement to the original, and certainly not competitive with other modern qb compilers, his own included. Maybe Galleon got pissed and pressed the red button.
Bert22306

Post by Bert22306 »

Let's try this again.

I too would be amazed if Galleon had simply up and left, without so much as a bye bye. The qb64.net site has been offline for an unacceptably long amount of time, and I only found this Pete's site when seaching out news about wha' happened to qb64.net. Most of the qb64 links point to that site.

Last long outage lasted only a few days, which was bad enough. This has been going on for weeks. It would be nice if the web site would at least bring up a PC to give an announcement of what the heck is going on.

It would also be nice if there was a repository with the latest verions of qb64 available somewhere. I didn't see the need, previously, to backup my qb64 files to a memory stick or CD.
waltersmind

Post by waltersmind »

Stxaxtic,

I wondered the same thing. I knew I should of took a screen shot of that post.

But, as I mentioned in a previous post, I was on the QB64 forum when it went down. First, the database on the server died and I received a "Database Not Found" error. I was able to go the main page which worked perfectly fine for a few hours, but the next morning I received a "Server Not Found" error message.

There were several occasions over a few day period I would get a "Bad Request" from the server, but then I would get the "Server Not Found" error message.

It appears the server(s) crashed, but there really is no true way of knowing unless someone speaks to Galleon.

I miss the forum and I wish Galleon would get it back up and running. If he doesn't want to deal with the project anymore, he could let me have it and I will put it back online. Not only would I start trying to make QB64 better (would probably need to rewrite many parts of it to get rid of the mass amounts of "garbage" in the code that makes QB64 bloated and the IDE sluggish), but I would work with the community a lot more on the project to alleviate the burdens of the few who originally had enough power to make changes. Also, I would give power to more people to help make things move faster and smoother, and not rely on a small elite group that looses interest and do not do what they agreed to do.

The reason I would love to take on this project is it appeared I was the first forum member to figure out a lot of what Galleon was doing in the QB64 code by creating a new useful function (Filled Circle) which worked great (18,000+ filled circles per second on my work computer that had a pixel radius of 300 [600 pixel wide circle]), and posted my findings to the forum. I looked through most of the forum and never found any other member before me who accomplished these feats, which is why I feel I was the first member to figure it out. Once I figured it out and posted my findings on the forum, Steve McNeil and I started creating other functions (math) for QB64. I quickly backed away when it became a huge controversy. I wanted to add many elements to QB64 that Galleon and I wanted to see, such as UI elements (menus, buttons, drop down boxes, etc...), but gave up when Galleon wouldn't respond to requests for intervention and guidance from me and other forum members. I noticed he made several posts to other members about some of the cool things they were doing, but never to our requests about the modification of QB64. If he had, I would had first documented all the code for QB64, to help other developers expand it, and then added some amazing things to QB64. I also wanted to add event notifications as well.

Oh well. I will check on QB64 for a little while longer, but I will eventually give up. Especially since I am now creating my own IDE, with a built-in compiler, in Assembler (MASM32). After reading some books on compilers, I realized that the way I am doing it is very unorthodox, which makes me happy. One of my goals is to allow the developer to see the final assembly language mnemonic form of the code before it gets compiled.
ruben

Post by ruben »

Oh well. I will check on QB64 for a little while longer, but I will eventually give up. Especially since I am now creating my own IDE, with a built-in compiler, in Assembler (MASM32). After reading some books on compilers, I realized that the way I am doing it is very unorthodox, which makes me happy. One of my goals is to allow the developer to see the final assembly language mnemonic form of the code before it gets compiled.
Hmm and your post looks like a self-promotion.
I am not under preasure of qb64..to be or not to be because i already have my favorite
and very powerful compiler - Oxygen Basic.
Qb64 site is good because have a lot of interesting examples .

well ...IDE + built in compiler ...that sounds interesting :D
is there any download yet?
Anthony.R.Brown
Veteran

waltersmind wrote:Stxaxtic,

I wondered the same thing. I knew I should of took a screen shot of that post.

But, as I mentioned in a previous post, I was on the QB64 forum when it went down. First, the database on the server died and I received a "Database Not Found" error. I was able to go the main page which worked perfectly fine for a few hours, but the next morning I received a "Server Not Found" error message.

There were several occasions over a few day period I would get a "Bad Request" from the server, but then I would get the "Server Not Found" error message.

It appears the server(s) crashed, but there really is no true way of knowing unless someone speaks to Galleon.

I miss the forum and I wish Galleon would get it back up and running. If he doesn't want to deal with the project anymore, he could let me have it and I will put it back online. Not only would I start trying to make QB64 better (would probably need to rewrite many parts of it to get rid of the mass amounts of "garbage" in the code that makes QB64 bloated and the IDE sluggish), but I would work with the community a lot more on the project to alleviate the burdens of the few who originally had enough power to make changes. Also, I would give power to more people to help make things move faster and smoother, and not rely on a small elite group that looses interest and do not do what they agreed to do.

The reason I would love to take on this project is it appeared I was the first forum member to figure out a lot of what Galleon was doing in the QB64 code by creating a new useful function (Filled Circle) which worked great (18,000+ filled circles per second on my work computer that had a pixel radius of 300 [600 pixel wide circle]), and posted my findings to the forum. I looked through most of the forum and never found any other member before me who accomplished these feats, which is why I feel I was the first member to figure it out. Once I figured it out and posted my findings on the forum, Steve McNeil and I started creating other functions (math) for QB64. I quickly backed away when it became a huge controversy. I wanted to add many elements to QB64 that Galleon and I wanted to see, such as UI elements (menus, buttons, drop down boxes, etc...), but gave up when Galleon wouldn't respond to requests for intervention and guidance from me and other forum members. I noticed he made several posts to other members about some of the cool things they were doing, but never to our requests about the modification of QB64. If he had, I would had first documented all the code for QB64, to help other developers expand it, and then added some amazing things to QB64. I also wanted to add event notifications as well.

We Need! you Walter & Steve to make The New QB64 The Best ever!