qbasic on android phones

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

jack

qbasic on android phones

Post by jack »

Can somebody do something about making qbasic for android phones?

or at least on windows smartphones?
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

QBASIC is for 16 bit x86 processors, smartphones use 32 bit arm processor. And qb cannot be recompiled for smartphones because nobody here has the source code (only microsoft has it); there is a pseudo-source code of qbasic, but it's in assembly so it's still processor-specific.

QB64 can, in theory, be compiled for smartphones (there are few reports claiming it has been done and works). Otherwise, you can use a dos emulator (there are ports of DosBox for android; on iphone it's not possible because of the app-store rules)

Anyway, it's nearly useless: years ago, using a dos emulator, I run qbasic un a windows-CE palm device... yes, it worked, but I dumped it after few minutes; on a so small screen, you can't read well your programs, and without a real keyboard, you can't write your code.

Maybe you could use it on a tablet... not on a smartphone. Also, you won't be able to use features like accelerometers or multi-touch (that are essential on smartphones and tabled), so the user interface of your programs would be really poor.
Stoves
Veteran

Post by Stoves »

I've tried out Basic by Mintoris and BASIC! + SQL by Paul Laughton from the Android Market. They're better than nothing.