did anybody try testing video games to make a living?

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

JohnStingrayPP

did anybody try testing video games to make a living?

Post by JohnStingrayPP »

My boyfriend was describing he could make significant salary by just testing playstation games. I am very interested that could be the fact. Had someone been into this deal? Did anyone tried making money by testing video games?
bongomeno
Veteran

Post by bongomeno »

This question would be better off in general discussion.

It is certainly possible to make good money from game testing, but I wouldnt completely rely on it. Also it usually requires knowledge of programming in C++ or similar languages.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

You're talking about being a "beta tester" for videogames. It's actually not that fun or glamorous. I have a few friends that do it out here in Los Angeles (one of them works on Guitar Hero).

Basically, you replay the same level or area, hundreds of times and try to break the game. Your job is to look for bugs and gameplay balance issues. You might get assigned to walk around an entire level against the wall and make sure there's no point where you fall through...or try pressing the same button over and over again to see if it causes problems. It's not actually fun, and it's nothing like playing videogames for leisure.

Also, the pay is pretty low. My friends that do it make about $100 - $120 per day...which is not very much if you're living in Los Angeles and trying to pay rent and your college loans.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

I could use $100 a day to play games. That's $3000 a month (twice my pension) and I get nadda here! Not even a thanks most of the time!

Send me a link Pete. Good to see you around.

Ted
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Hahaha...you have to live where the game studios are in order to be a beta tester. A lot of game studios are based in LA (EA, Activision, as well as all of the ones made at film stuidos...etc.)

I'm not sure where else you'll find beta testing work, but I would guess there's a lot of game companies in NYC.

As for the pay, it's around $100 per day before taxes, and you get no benefits. And it's generally not very steady work...you usually end up unemployed half the year, because they only bring people in when they're actively testing games. (A lot of my friends who do it have a really hard time making rent every month...which is always very high in Los Angeles -- $600 for a room minimum, and generally closer to $800 for a shared room in an apartment, not counting utilities and such).