bigger QB programs?

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

iamdenteddisk
Veteran

bigger QB programs?

Post by iamdenteddisk »

I need a pure qb method"no libs" way to build bigger programs and the 64k limmit is bumming me out.. Anyone with an idea?

I need access to more memory and info on the chain command ,I think.
maybe a good help file you can point me to or something?
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

CHAIN simply sends the program to another module. This allows you to make larger programs. You do not need to include the BAS or EXE extension in the call. CHAIN "Module1".

Previous screen settings are not changed!

CHAIN will look for a module name that matches the type of the calling module. You cannot CHAIN BAS to EXE! But leaving the extension off the module name saves you from having to edit the extensions before compiling.

To pass variable values, you can use COMMON SHARED lists. The lists MUST BE IDENTICAL IN ALL MODULES! You must compile with BRUN45 to use COMMON SHARED!

I prefer passing variable values with simple WRITE data files. Then you can create Stand Alone EXE modules.
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
Harry Potter
Veteran

Post by Harry Potter »

After creating Template Creator for DOS, I thought that, by separating the template database into multiple files, one each for all the templates of a file type, I could cut down the size in memory of the file type database. Try that: separate data into smaller pieces and load them from files, one at a time, rather than loading a whole database or all the information at once. Also, try keeping a few files open and load data as needed, rather than loading it all into memory. Finally, if you use DATA statements, you could try loading information from files rather than using DATA statements.
Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Creating magic in the computer community...or at least striving to! :(
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

TY

Post by iamdenteddisk »

Thanks guy's!!