Problem with QuickBasic 7.1

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

ReiKo.cry
Coder

Problem with QuickBasic 7.1

Post by ReiKo.cry »

Hi :)

Anyway, I'm having problem with running QuickBasic 7.1 on my Windows XP SP2 machine. I never had problems with it until i buyed new keyboard and now I get this error and when I try to type in code, letters are all strange (for example : I press letter "U" and it writes down letter : "B" or some nubmer or weird sign).

This is error message :

"One or more CON code pages invalid for given keyboard code".

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Does the keyboard work OK in Windows?

Sounds like the keyboard is not a standard keyboard for your language settings.
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
ReiKo.cry
Coder

Post by ReiKo.cry »

Keyboard works OK in Windows.
It's Logitech keyboard.

I did try QBASIC and it works, but I need it to work in QuickBasic (4.5 or 7.1 it dosen't matter).
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Can you type in Notepad or any other text editor?
There's another in command prompt, if you like the feel of the QB IDE.
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
ReiKo.cry
Coder

Post by ReiKo.cry »

In Notepad I can type without problem, everything works.
When I run QuickBasic 7.1 from command prompt I still have the same errors.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

You can type your code in notepad, save it with a .bas extension, then open it up in QB.

It might give you the same problems, but in command prompt, type edit and you'll get an editor similar to QB's. Blue and ascii and all. But it isn't a compiler, so you'll still have to save with .bas .
ReiKo.cry
Coder

Post by ReiKo.cry »

Can't I just fix problem with QuickBasic IDE, don't tell me that noone had this problem before?

Thanks.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

ReiKo.cry wrote:Can't I just fix problem with QuickBasic IDE, don't tell me that noone had this problem before?

Thanks.
If you want to rewrite it... :P
It sounds much harder than it looks. I think QB will open up a file if you put it's name next to run QB as a parameter, then run it.
ReiKo.cry
Coder

Post by ReiKo.cry »

This dosen't work for me... any alternative for QuickBasic language, but another IDE(with compiling).

Thanks.
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

Run edit from the command line and see if the problem still exist there. if it does it means your DOS-keyboard setting aren't okay and you'll need to set them manually or you could just install dosbox.

grtz
QBinux is a Linux distribution with the aim of integrating the work of the vast community of free software developers at Pete's QBASIC Site in order to create a modern, performant, safe and easy to use system for system administrators and desktop users.
ReiKo.cry
Coder

Post by ReiKo.cry »

Hi!

Yes! When I try using edit from command line, the problem is still there.
Any ideas how to fix it?
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Hm. Maybe the computer interprets some of the keyboard stuff (or all) in unicode, but the 16-bit stuff doesn't?
ReiKo.cry
Coder

Post by ReiKo.cry »

It works in DOSBOX but signs like : ",$()/&

are not on numeric, but they are all mixed up.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Let me guess. You already threw the old keyboard away! If not, try it and see what happens. Otherwise FORGET ABOUT IT! You are apparently too stubborn to try another one!
Last edited by burger2227 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

There could be another problem. I sometimes have the same. Make sure you a US keyboard and not UK keyboard. And also check which kind of driver is installed, a US or UK. Because my laptop is UK-based, as it came from there, but when I use DOSBOX, I have to change the keyboard layout to UK because it standard uses US-layout.

Btw what country are you in? Because there's lot of countries which use QWERTY-keyboards but where the numeric stuff and other signs are diffrent.

Grtz
QBinux is a Linux distribution with the aim of integrating the work of the vast community of free software developers at Pete's QBASIC Site in order to create a modern, performant, safe and easy to use system for system administrators and desktop users.
ReiKo.cry
Coder

Post by ReiKo.cry »

Well, I'm from Croatia, and now I did change my Regional settings > Languages > Details into " English (US) ".

Now it works but I dont think this is solution cause I'm not from USA :P.

Anyways, the shift + 2 is not " in QuickBasic IDE , or I'm just missing something??

Thanks.
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

Try to find out if your keyboard is Croatian or Brithish because SHIFT + 2 making " is the same on my keyboard.

I'm checking some stuff out. There is a possiblity that you need to set your keyboard in DOS to Croatian... the commandline I mean by that... not DosBOX... Lemme see... apparently there's no way to do that in the command line...

For DOSBOX you could try KEYB yu.

Grtz
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Oooohhhh. I gotta ask.

Does your keyboard come with an 'any' key?
ReiKo.cry
Coder

Post by ReiKo.cry »

Seb McClouth wrote:Try to find out if your keyboard is Croatian or Brithish because SHIFT + 2 making " is the same on my keyboard.

I'm checking some stuff out. There is a possiblity that you need to set your keyboard in DOS to Croatian... the commandline I mean by that... not DosBOX... Lemme see... apparently there's no way to do that in the command line...

For DOSBOX you could try KEYB yu.

Grtz
Well shift + 2 works for " sign everywhere except in QBASIC IDE.
ReiKo.cry
Coder

Post by ReiKo.cry »

It dosent work with old keyboard.

Thx for calling me stubborn.