Looking for someone to open quickbasic files

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

louhardt

Looking for someone to open quickbasic files

Post by louhardt »

Sorry but I really don't know anything about Qbasic. What I do know is that I am trying to salvage data for a customer and the program was, we believe, written in Qbasic.

I need inventory files, other files, opened and saved as some other type that I can access.

Again, I know nothing abut Qbasic so I have to rely on someone else.

Can anyone here help?

Thanks
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

If the program is an EXE file, you cannot read it unless there are specific text file names used. A BAS file can be read if the program was saved as a text viewable file. Try converting it to text by using the QB editor. Just check the the text viewable in other programs box in File /SAVE AS.

Try looking for text files, in the same folder, where data may be written. Use Notepad. If you find a comma separated data file, it can be read by Excel or any CSV capable database program.

Good luck,

Ted
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
Kiyotewolf
Veteran

Reading random files

Post by Kiyotewolf »

You might want to try looking at the files using a Hex editor. That will let you see all the characters that are english. If you view it in a normal text editor, most likely the editor will run into an "" End Of File character and stop there, with the rest of the file not displayed.

If you need help finding a hex editor, let me know. I actually have a short little program that displays all the characters that are not readable as " . "'s, and displays the entire file with only the alphanumeric characters only. You can then redirect the flow of that program into a text file which you can look over in Windows.

The program is called SNOOP.COM

If you need it, let me know.
Banana phone! We need more lemon pledge. * exploding fist of iced tea! * I see your psycho cat and counter with a duck that has a broken leg, in a cast.