If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

This is about my RPG engine. I happened to notice that I made a rather bad assumption on storing my data for my verticies. Previosly, the QB memory limitations allowed me to store enough data for around 5000 cubes. I realized that I made the assumption of storing the data for sides to the verticies, which is all good and dandy IF all of the cubes are facing the vanishing point. So, things like rotations require handling the points, not the sides, thus putting requiring much more memory.

So...can I avoid this memory limitation by saving to notepad? (I'm NOT using BLoad EVER again :x . It convinced me that there ARE Aliens :shock: ). Can I load data from Notepad, and then write over it when the user goes to another room? And how much data can QB hold at one time? I know I'm pushing it to the limit, and I'm bound to push even more in terms of memory and speed.

And how do I get information from .DAT in the way I want it (Load it to an array).
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

there are memory limits to QB it can only handle so much info.
like the array question someone else posted.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Okay. I'm saving to .DAT. I'm trying to have a lot of data saved, and then a part called upon when needed (ex: loading vertices, text, and events upon entering a room, and when the character leaves, that data is saved and then deleted or written over for another room).

So how do I get info from .DAT into an array? I'm not wasting my engine on a lost cause. I've seen those 100K and megabyte (Arrakis) programs. Obviously, it can be done. I want to know how. :wink:
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .