One heck of a problem!

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

AiRMaN
Coder

One heck of a problem!

Post by AiRMaN »

I'm using Windows XP, and every single time I run QB, My windows programs slow dow significantly, I mean 'Notepad' would take 10 seconds to run!, I checked the task manger, and there I found a process called 'Ntvdm' that takes a bout 97 - 99 percent of the cpu usage!, I tried adjusting memory settings in the properties but nothing worked out!, any suggestion
~AiRMaN~
Stoves
Veteran

Solution: Lower priority

Post by Stoves »

In the windows task manager, right click on that 'Ntvdm' process, choose "Set Priority", and set to "BelowNormal". All your other windows apps should run much more smoothly.
AiRMaN
Coder

Post by AiRMaN »

Thanx Stoves, it's all back to smooth now!, but still the process 'Ntvdm' is taking a whooping 99% of the cpu, is there a way to make it less!
~AiRMaN~
The Walrus
Veteran

Post by The Walrus »

It will only take 99% of the CPU when the other programs you have running aren't using CPU. When another program wants to do something, NTVDMs CPU usage drops automatically. It's no problem, unless you're using a laptop on battery (heavy CPU usage drains the battery faster).
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain walruses?
Stoves
Veteran

Fraid so

Post by Stoves »

AiRMaN wrote:Thanx Stoves, it's all back to smooth now!, but still the process 'Ntvdm' is taking a whooping 99% of the cpu, is there a way to make it less!
Yeah, like The Walrus said, unfortunately there's no way (that I'm aware of) to make the Ntvdm process be less of a processor hog.

Cuz of that, I try to do as much code writing outside of the Qbasic interpreter as possible and then only do debugging in Qbasic.