help with screen modes QB 7.1

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

depot1

help with screen modes QB 7.1

Post by depot1 »

what screen modes can use
with QB 7.1
can i get 600 X 800 256 colors
or 1024 X 768 256 colors
can someone help me with this
thanks
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

No, you cant.

End of story.
I have left this dump.
Antoni
Veteran

Post by Antoni »

High resolutions did not exist when QB7.1 appeared , so it does not have any built in function to use them.

You can use the VESA interrupts and pokes to screen memory to draw pixels to a high resolution screen, but this approach is too slow for games.

There are libraries as Future, uGL or Zephir that add SVGA support to QB. The problem is the modern cards and OS'es have a very limited support for high resolutions in DOS processes. So be warned, programs you make with these libraries might not work in every computer.

If high resolution is a must, you should try FreeBasic for windows. It has problems with older cards too...
Fumador
Coder

Post by Fumador »

apparently the limit is 128Ox1O24x256, here you can see and test the different resolutions,
http://www.qbasicnews.com/abc/showsnipp ... &snippet=7
Antoni
Veteran

Post by Antoni »

The limit depends on the video card memory ant the maximum frequences the card anj the monitor can stand.
I have set my jpeg viewer to 1600x1200x256 (I was using a CRT monitor back then, my present TFT device can't stand it)

Fumador:
The video mode numbers in your snippet are not VESA standard, and probably will not work nowadays.
VESA started defining modes from 101H , then dropped that standard and stated that a certain interrupt call was to be used to retrieve a list of the available modes in a card.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Assumption: VESA and DOS are still mainstream
Correction: They are not

Assumption: VESA and DOS will still work flawlessly
Correcion: They will not

Assumption: VESA and DOS will still work
Correction: They will most likely not

Assumption: VESA is still supported
Correction: It is not
I have left this dump.