Online game

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

D.S
Coder

Online game

Post by D.S »

Hello Qb world! I havn't been on in awhile. And I have been working on my spelling, so my posts should be readable :wink: .

Anyway, here's my question. How hard would it be to create a online (text based) game, sort of in the style of Counterstrike or Quake? I know that you need to have a server, and know how to program online code, but I don't know how difficult either of these would be. If it's too hard, I don't want to try it, since the game is text based anyway.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

I don't believe it would be that hard no, especially for a text based game. Perhaps one map on the server on which each client reports their current location.

One global list of objects if any that report back to the client if they can be taken or already taken by someone else playing.

First trick, sit down, plan things a bit, atleast enough to know what goes on the server and what would go on the client's machine :-). Basically.
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

if you know qbasic pertty good you could create the game
fairly easily.....then use a package called kahn server
kahn is suppose to make any DOS like program work
on the interent...so you don't have to do programming
for the server side just the game side...
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Or just use FreeBASIC, which has full support for win32/linux/dos
I have left this dump.