2D Graphics Library

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

DaveUnit
Veteran

2D Graphics Library

Post by DaveUnit »

Hey, I'm gonna attempt to do a little project in Freebasic and all I would like to know is what is your preference for a 2D graphics library?
Until recently I've been learning how to use YAGL, then I took a break from 2D and did some 3D with OpenGL, got frustrated, and am now back to 2D. There are just so many things I need to learn to do before I should ever consider a 3D program again.
Woah, sorry for going off topic. Anyway...
I use YAGL, but Marzec has posted that he no longer plans to work on it. I'm looking for a new graphics library now but there's part of me that says just stick with YAGL.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot.
-Dave-
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

You could use the built in one for while or YAGL until a very promising library, AFLIB2 comes out. Quick google to check if it has...

HOLY SHIT! http://forum.qbasicnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=11717

I guess it has... I recommend using that. However, YAGL is supporting all your needs and AFLIB2 does not interest you, there is no reason for you to switch.

Now, I have to go check that out...
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Yagl is by far the fastest 2d library out there.

AFLIB2 is a software library.
I have left this dump.
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

I dunno, AFLib2 seems a little... not good. It's definitely an old-school thing, seeing as how it is 8-bit. I don't think it's for me.

Right now I'm looking at either Allegro or YAGL I think.

What are your opinions of Allegro?
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

I never used allegro.. it's supposedly "good" or "real crap".. dpending on who you ask..
Like I said, dont take my word for it.. Never used it..
Last edited by Z!re on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have left this dump.
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

Thanks Z!re, I think I'll just stick with YAGL.
I wish I had something to offer to help with YAGL because it'd be sad to see the project die.
ShadowWolf
Veteran

Post by ShadowWolf »

Allegro was great back in the days of DOS game programing. but its win32 port is pretty much on par with SDL so when compared to something like YAGL it simple falls short..

really YAGL and other GL based 2d blitter libs are really the fastest things out there.

so i would stick with YAGL. its powerful , fast , it stupid easy what more could you ask for.

oh ya about AAP lib it pretty cool for 8bit but really in the end he is like 15 years to late. lets face it working with 8bit gfxs is like being bushs PR guy for the war in iraq no matter how much you spin it , its still crap.
Dr_D
Veteran

Post by Dr_D »

ShadowWolf wrote: oh ya about AAP lib it pretty cool for 8bit but really in the end he is like 15 years to late. lets face it working with 8bit gfxs is like being bushs PR guy for the war in iraq no matter how much you spin it , its still crap.
:lol: Yeah, Bush is a beeotch.
Seriously, I did some hanging-on-to-the-retro stuff in FB, and never showed the results to anyone. Did you people not do the same? :P The only difference here, is that AAP decided to release his stuff to the world, while most others did not. But, it's actually pretty cool because it shows you just how much faster FB is. ;)
The Dr. is INsane!!!
Antoni
Veteran

Post by Antoni »

Z!re wrote:AFLIB2 is a software library.
This sentence puzzled me for a while. Finally I got it..... :D