need help please

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

moro145

need help please

Post by moro145 »

hii all
first i want to thank u all again for helping me understanding quick basic ,
but i still have some problems especially i can't find any books for qbasic in egypt.

i was woundering if there is any way that compines qbasic with c# so that i can take values from qbasic run and use it in a c# program?

about outputs display can i use larger fonts for some text ?

is it available to make borders and frames in qbasic?

please describe to me "in code example" how to send output values to fill an excell sheet.,and how to send out puts to a notepad?

about the printing to usb problem if i use a parallel-to-usb converter will that work out ? :?
hesham hafez
Antoni
Veteran

Re: need help please

Post by Antoni »

moro145 wrote: i was woundering if there is any way that compines qbasic with c# so that i can take values from qbasic run and use it in a c# program?

please describe to me "in code example" how to send output values to fill an excell sheet.,and how to send out puts to a notepad?
You can't use qb to control notepad or excel, the same as you can't link togheter qb and c# code. The only way to share data from qb to these apps is to use files. QB writes a file and the other program reads it. For he formats, a plain text file would be ok for notepad, for excel a file with comma separed values, and for c# it's up to you, you can program both sides...
about outputs display can i use larger fonts for some text ?
Not in text modes, In graphics modes you can do it if you use your own print to screen routine. You have one at my site...
is it available to make borders and frames in qbasic?
Text or graphics? In text mode you have the line-drawing characters for this purpose. In graphics modes, use line(x,y),color,BF. Check my site, i have there a little lib called panels to do windows looking panels.

about the printing to usb problem if i use a parallel-to-usb converter will that work out ? :?
Can't answer this one...
moneo
Veteran

Re: need help please

Post by moneo »

moro145 wrote:.....
i can't find any books for qbasic in egypt.
There's an excellent book by Ethan Winer which covers QBasic and QuickBasic. For many years Ethan Winer was considered one of the most important experts on Basic. You can download this book FREE at:
www.ethanwiner.com

Look near the bottom of the first page on the website.
Zim
Veteran

Ethan Winer

Post by Zim »

I called Cresent Software once with a question about QuickPak Pro. Ethan answered the phone! He was nice; very knowledgable and fun to talk to.
--- Zim ---
--- Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana ---
moneo
Veteran

Re: Ethan Winer

Post by moneo »

Zim wrote:I called Cresent Software once with a question about QuickPak Pro. Ethan answered the phone! He was nice; very knowledgable and fun to talk to.
Zim, I've been using the QuickPak Pro library for years, the lastest being version 4.19 of October 1993. It's really great, as you know. I contacted Ethan several times by mail, and he was really helpful. Some people are now using Freebasic to do certain things that we have been doing for years with QuickPak. What version do you have?
Zim
Veteran

QuickPak

Post by Zim »

I can't really remember the version number. I do remember that it was right after QB v 4.0 came out. Ethan was trying to convince me to switch from v3 to v4. I should have taken his advice. I'm still using 3 because I like it alot. Version 4 has many advantages, but at the time I didn't feel like converting all my programs, and I didn't feel like working in two different IDE's. QB 3 makes small, fast executables.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Ethan sent me QuickPak stuff for both QB 3 and 4. Actually, I ended up not using it much. There was another package back then also. It was called "ADVBAS" (ADVanced BASic I suppose). It was a shareware package that the author turned into freeware, I think. I used that one a little more.

I don't use either of them anymore. Now I'm only writing small programs for specific tasks and I like to see ALL the BASIC source code in my source module.

I really need to start using QB 4.5 though. There's just too much in the language that I'm missing out on. Or, I should just go straight to FreeBASIC.
--- Zim ---
--- Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana ---
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Zim wrote:.....

I don't use either of them anymore. Now I'm only writing small programs for specific tasks and I like to see ALL the BASIC source code in my source module.
I get your point here about seeing ALL the Basic source code, but even in Basic you use many functions like INSTR, INT, LTRIM$, INKEY$, etc. which execute other code that you can't see in your Basic code. It's a matter of trust and having tested these functions thoroughly. The same applies for using QPak functions, which by the way, provide you with many solutions that you just cannot do in Basic.

The closest you'll ever get to "seeing all the code" is in assembly language. Even then you have to rely on external functions to perform I/O and communicate with the operating system.

If you ever decide to convert to Freebasic, you will encounter several differences in the way certain good-old Basic functions work in Freebasic, especially PRINT USING. If you need to move ahead, you've got to live with the change.