Getting QB 4.5 to run on my new 'puter.

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

DaveUnit
Veteran

Getting QB 4.5 to run on my new 'puter.

Post by DaveUnit »

Hokay, my old pc is toast, I've got my new one now running windows 2000. I download qb 4.5 and I had problems getting that to run, so I opened up the command prompt and made a batch file with the qb library, it runs, but not very well. Also, whenever I exit it, it says invalid COMMAND.COM and i hafta ctrl-alt-del my way out.
Can anyone help me, I really want my qb back. It sucks enough that I had some weird problem with my old HD and lost all my qb files.

Thanks to anyone that can be of help.

~Dave~
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

NT based versions of Windows apparently have problems with DOS programs.

Describe the problem in detail.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
ShadowWolf
Veteran

Post by ShadowWolf »

well if you give up on trying to get qb to run in win2k (you really have to play around with the setting to get qb to run under 2k) you could try dosbox or simple give up on QB like the rest of us have and use Freebasic
www.freebasic.net.

but if you one of those QB necromancers that are determined to keep something that been long dead in a zombie like state then this is for you :)
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
Last edited by ShadowWolf on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

I suppose I'll use Freebasic... seeing as how it is way better and everything. :P
I've just been too lazy to switch to FB and my old computer was so crappy that FB wasn't running properly when I tried it.

~Dave~
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

That is how I was... way back when.
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

What do you guys recommend I download for extras, I've got FBIDE downloading and I wanna know what else would be useful to have.

Thanks a lot.

~Dave~
Antoni
Veteran

Post by Antoni »

Dave:
I have been running QB4.5 without a problem in W2000 for 3 years. You may have problems with programs accessing EMS, SVGA graphics or a Sound card, but simple programs should run fine.

Upon installation you must run qb.exe, go to options>set paths and set all the paths involved or the ide will not find anything.

Here is a copy of the qb.bat file I put in all my source folders, I can invoke QB by dragging the source file on it. A copy of the QB.INI file must be in the same folder. Probably it's not the best way to do it...

Code: Select all

setlocal
::change to your path to qb
set path=%path%;c:\progra~1\qb
::invoking QB.EXE, change to suit your needs
qb.exe %1 /h /lqb
endlocal
I hope it helps...
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

Thanks for the help, but I've made the decision to switch to FreeBasic and make better programs with that.
Thanks anyway though, I aprreciate it.

~Dave~
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

DaveUnit wrote:What do you guys recommend I download for extras, I've got FBIDE downloading and I wanna know what else would be useful to have.

Thanks a lot.

~Dave~
All I use is the FB compiler and FBIDE. I honestly havn't checked out much of the extras. :)

[goes and looks at Freebasic.net]

I don't really know what else you'd need. What did you have in mind? :D
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

I just didn't know if there was anything else that was particularly useful. So i guess what I got is good, now I gotta learn about all the changes from QB to FB.

~Dave~
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

If you need any help, just say the word. :D
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

Alright, thanks a lot. :D
Time to start making the program thats now gone forever over again in FB.

~Dave~
Michael Calkins
Veteran

Post by Michael Calkins »

Bring on the Maulotaurs! oops...
I like to slay Disciples of D'Sparil...
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

What do you guys recommend for image editing? 'Cuz paint sucks, ya know? :P

Thanks again.

~Dave
Zim
Veteran

Image Editing

Post by Zim »

My son likes the GIMP.
--- Zim ---
--- Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana ---
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

I don't need something as extensive as GIMP, just a better paint program basically. I'm using Game Maker's image editor instead of paint currently.
PipeRifle
Coder

Post by PipeRifle »

Try Photoshop CS2
...uh okay, most of us can't afford it. My Bad.

I Got one from bundled software for my tablet (you know, that fancy little pad with pen that enables you to draw digitally into your PC).

I think GIMP is good, but lacked proper support for tablet. But then again, if you use tablet and got bundled software...

Personally, I think GIMP is good, but you might want to try Photo Canvas. But even though all software I mentioned here perform very well, I often found myself back using Paint for some little editing.
One defeated only when one stopped wanting to win
Zim
Veteran

Better than Paint

Post by Zim »

If you're looking for something just a tiny bit better than Paint, how about PhotoEd, the photo editor that comes with MS-Office? I believe the executable is Photoed.exe.
--- Zim ---
--- Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana ---
PQBC

Post by PQBC »

It's for Linux, but KoulorPaint is better than paint in respect that it has more features. (eg smooth scale(scale w/ color blending), circle select, more formats supported, etc.)

But for all of us, (Linux, Windows, MAC, etc.) I would, as everyone else has said, recommend the GIMP.
Patz

Post by Patz »

The Awakened wrote:
DaveUnit wrote:What do you guys recommend I download for extras, I've got FBIDE downloading and I wanna know what else would be useful to have.

Thanks a lot.

~Dave~
All I use is the FB compiler and FBIDE. I honestly havn't checked out much of the extras. :)
[goes and looks at Freebasic.net]
I don't really know what else you'd need. What did you have in mind? :D
Libraries?