Hex based map movement

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

benjiboy
Coder

Hex based map movement

Post by benjiboy »

Hi all :) from an old coder who is new to the forum.
I am working on a conversion of a 1980's solo board game - 'Barbarian Prince' from Metagaming Corp.
This is a prime candidate for a mixed graphic/text adventure being the exploits of a young prince whose parents have been killed and whose throne has been stolen by a usurper. The player has 70 game days to wander around the kingdom, enlist a band of followers, find the lost 'Crown of the North' and reclaim his throne.
The problem is that the map of the kingdom is hex based and I was wondering whether anyone has already developed a hex based movement system? Plotting moves from hex to hex doesn't seem difficult until it comes to developing the map and displaying it. All the RPG stuff I have seen so far seems to be square tile based, and that isn't what I want.
Can anyone help :?:
Benjiboy

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Be who you are, not who others say you should be.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

JAWS-V soft did an hex-based game called Mini RPG 1 Board Game. It comes with complete QB sourcecode.

http://members.aol.com/changev/

Post by Guest »

cool dwarfstar games rock!

do one for star viking too!
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Ohh... this sounds like a challenge...
benjiboy
Coder

Post by benjiboy »

Challenge is right Nathan1993! We'll see how far I get...

Thanks for the pointer Nekrophidius - I'll check it out.
------edit----------------
Went there, downloaded it. It needs an include file NEXUS_13.BI.

Is that one of JawsV's own, or is it something that other people recognise as part of an external library or add-on :?:
Benjiboy

Be who you are, not who others say you should be.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Nexus 13 is a QB-based graphics library developed by Eclipzer. Check out the readme for the game, it should say where to get it. If not, try searching Pete's archives here, he might have it.
benjiboy
Coder

Post by benjiboy »

Thanks again Nekrophidius - I should have thought to look myself.
I have now, and sadly the links to the old eclipzer site have disappeared into the aether.
Googling for other references reveals that elcipzer has faded from the scene.
I've not been able to find the library in any of the QB sites I've visited either.

Thanks for the help. :)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Yeah...Eclipzer was a cool guy. :D He got a rough start in the Qmunity though, and I think part of that was my fault. When he first offered his Nexus 13, he asked me to review it for QBOA. Well...my review wasn't very favourable...Nexus 13 wasn't very good, and Eclizper's site was littered with self-praise and hype. Some people told me I was too hard on him, but it was my zine, so it ran by my rules. Anyways, Eclipzer came onto IRC and got to meet and talk with some of the true greats of the QB scene...masters like Jon Gilbert (Logic Lord) and Jack Matheson (class). He improved substantially from there, and Nexus 13 got way way better. He was a part of LSS at one point in time, he joined Darkness Ethereal after I had left the group. When DE split up, Eclipzer sorta faded into obscurity and I've not heard anything about him since.

It was interesting as well, since he was one of the very few black coders in the QB scene. Right now, I only know of one other, and that's Rokkuman on QBN...