List of few basic questions

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Nathan1993 wrote:I mean that if you want to have a new function (like the Text box, frames, ect) you have to create a new control (for most people that arn't hard-core programmers like us, anyway).
Hrm...I think I understand what you mean by that...but that's the way it is in GUI programming in Windows anyways. The difference is that if you're using VB, or VC++ with MFC, you can visually design your windows rather than having to do it through code. The end result is usually cleaner this way anyways, although the hardcore ones will say it's "cheating". However, even in VB, you can create windows at runtime using code...you don't have to rely on the form designer whatsoever. It's just usually futile to do it since it doesn't save you any size in your EXE (actually if anything, it would probably make your EXE larger, since you have to code in your own WndProc function AND CreateWindowEx calls, and then of course add in all your "normal" program code!).
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

yeah, thats exactly what I mean.

and there is no cheating in programing, its all free-formed... its all just being asses that dont know what they are doing and dont want to so they learn to program in 2 seconds.

Really, i knew a TINY bit of BASIC and I picked up a VB book (waste of $30) and got it in 5 minutes. Made a simple journal program and I havnt picked it up since...
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Any schmuck can make a simple app in VB in under 5 minutes. But VB is one of those languages that is damn difficult to actually master. I've been at it for years and I still cannot even call myself an expert in VB, let alone a master, because there is way more to it than meets the eye. About two years ago I took a sample MCSD test, a segment of the test that focused on Visual Basic...needless to say, I failed it badly. There's just SO much more to it than you can know, and it's way more complicated than you think.
matt2jones
Veteran

Post by matt2jones »

speaking of which, a few years ago I remember you posted up a tutorial on writing RPG's in Visual Basic... Do you still have a copy of that lying around, I'd be interested in taking a look at it...

matt
Do not mistake Apathy for feeling Content.

http://www.disjointed.cjb.net - Short Storys
http://matt2jones.deviantart.com - Random Art
http://www.freewebs.com/matt2jones - WebComic
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I highly doubt it but I could take a look around my archive CDs...I gotta go thru them anyways. I remember the article though, it took forever to write.