big stupid newbie questions

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Captainlazy

big stupid newbie questions

Post by Captainlazy »

Hi - just registered on what seems to be the best and only consistently updated qbasic site left on t'internet!!

I did a bit of qbasic about 4-5 years ago and want to get back into it. I was using qbasic 4.5 i think, but now im not sure what is the best idea!? I tried to learn c++ but gave up with that cause i actually prefer to use QB. But now im confused between the differences with qbasic, quick basic and freebasic. I have copies of Quickbasic 7.1 and qbasic 1.1 but the only difference i can spot is that you can build exe files with qb7.1 and not with qb1.1 (which i assume i need a complier for - any ideas??). However, there seems to be a lot of people out there using freebasic.

What are the differences between them?, which is best?, and where can i get freebasic from?

To be honest quickbasic 7.1 seems to be just like 4.5 and so i'm finding that fine, but i would like to know the differences and why there seem to be so many versions. Hope someone can help - I will probably be on this forum with newbie questions for a while.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

The many versions of QB is quite confussing sometimes, especially since MS decided to "change" name in the middle of the production line..

If you want to know whats best, for a modern day computer, and getting into modern type programming, then I'd say FB is the way to go: www.freebasic.net

Note that FB comes without an IDE (The editor you type code in), but there are a few IDEs made especially for FB, follow the links on the FB site to find them..

The difference between qb 1.1 and pds 7.1 (aka: qb7.1) or even qb 4.5 is, like you said, that 1.1 can't compile. 7.1 also adds a few more commands and compile options.. If you want to stick with DOS, then I'd recomend QB 4.5, as most libraries are made for it..
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Z!re wrote:The many versions of QB is quite confussing sometimes, especially since MS decided to "change" name in the middle of the production line..

If you want to know whats best, for a modern day computer, and getting into modern type programming, then I'd say FB is the way to go: www.freebasic.net

Note that FB comes without an IDE (The editor you type code in), but there are a few IDEs made especially for FB, follow the links on the FB site to find them..

The difference between qb 1.1 and pds 7.1 (aka: qb7.1) or even qb 4.5 is, like you said, that 1.1 can't compile. 7.1 also adds a few more commands and compile options.. If you want to stick with DOS, then I'd recomend QB 4.5, as most libraries are made for it..
1.1 is very small, so if you need to put it on a floppy to work with code, I recommend that, but other than that I use qb 45 all the time. 7.1 is good (from what I have heard), but I have never tryed it.

1.1 is the only *legal* one too, though...
Captainlazy

Post by Captainlazy »

i have managed to get freebasic but it seems very different to qbasic. alot more complicated!! i think i may stick with qbasic. Any ideas where i can get a compiler for 1.1 and a copy of 4.5 from??
m2j

Post by m2j »

Okay, first up FB is NOT more complicated then QB. All simple QB code can be run in FB, whereas complicated QB code(that involves DOS specific interrupt shit) is easier done in FB.

EG.

Code: Select all

print "hello"

sleep

end
works the same in both QB and FB

screen 13

for i = 0 to 255
   line (i,0)-(i,200),i
next i

sleep

end

works the same in both QB and FB

screen 13

DEF SEG = &HA000
   for i = 0 to 255: for j = 0 to 200
      poke (j*320)+i,i
   next j:next i
def seg

sleep

end

Will only work in QB. If you don't understand what that code does, then your in the best position to start FB,because you don't have to shake your DOS coding habits like we did.

All the FB commands are faster then QB aswell (apart from just the general 32bittedness of the lang.), and all the basic graphics functions (LINE/CIRCLE/PAINT/GET/PUT) all work the same, but with less limitations.

You can put to outside the screen, and have bigger sprites due to the lack of 16bit memory restrictions QB operated under, so to do most straight forward graphical operations you don't need to fiddle with libraries whatsoever.

seeing as your comming at this from a reletivly clear head, just go straight to FB, at most the relearning curve is the same as the QB one, at best it is much less steep.

matt[/code]
urger
Coder

Post by urger »

What issue did you have with FB?
I would love to help you work through it and allow you to use this wonderfull compiler.
Share and Enjoy.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

The FB compile process is more complicated than QBs, as you dont have an IDE with FB..

Someone can point to the fbIDE site?
I have left this dump.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fbid ... e?download

/\ Direct link to the download Mirror.... Select a mirror and it will download the FBIde + FBC which is a lot more like QBasic, just more colourful... ^_^

:wink:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Speaking of FBIDE...I had a chance to test out 0.4.3 yesterday, as well as Eric's FPP. Both have gotten major upgrades in the past 24 hours, and hopefully the new package will be out soon. Lots of bugfixes and a number of new improvements. It's advanced to the point where even I use it now...
Captainlazy

Post by Captainlazy »

urger wrote:What issue did you have with FB?
I would love to help you work through it and allow you to use this wonderfull compiler.
i dunno really - maybe its just the idea of working with something i have never used before. it may be better, faster, more features etc, but at the end of the day - qbasic worked for me before and it was all i needed. i didnt realise i could code in the same way though!!

on my desktop i now have freebasic, qbasic 1.1, quickbasic 7.1 and qbasic 4.5. To be honest i'm more confused than ever. obviously im not interested in programming anything thats gonna WOW people. im getting back into it because i just enjoy programming and want to make progs for my own use (that satisfaction of completing your own program). i assumed that using what i had used before would be the easier option.

The general feeling however seems to be that freebasic is fantastic, wonderful and great, while qbasic in all its versions is dead. There must be drawbacks though - or am i wong? I'm happy using qbasic BUT at the same time i dont want to miss out! i suppose i just want to be convinced - or maybe i dont know what i want?!!? AAARrrggghh!!!
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Plus, QB7.1 added a ton of useless 'INTEREST' functions. But, in my opinion, KIS. QB7.1 is the way to go. (waiting to be flamed) :lol:
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Captainlazy wrote:on my desktop i now have freebasic, qbasic 1.1, quickbasic 7.1 and qbasic 4.5. To be honest i'm more confused than ever. obviously im not interested in programming anything thats gonna WOW people. im getting back into it because i just enjoy programming and want to make progs for my own use (that satisfaction of completing your own program). i assumed that using what i had used before would be the easier option.

The general feeling however seems to be that freebasic is fantastic, wonderful and great, while qbasic in all its versions is dead. There must be drawbacks though - or am i wong? I'm happy using qbasic BUT at the same time i dont want to miss out! i suppose i just want to be convinced - or maybe i dont know what i want?!!? AAARrrggghh!!!
I'll try to sum it up for ya...there's a lot of zealousy on BOTH sides of the fence so I'll give you the straight, unbiased dope.

QB versions nowadays work best in controlled environments. Since XP, QB's compatibility has plummetted. Sure, there are plenty who will tell you "but it works just fine in XP!" but these are the words of zealots. Basically, if it works for you then it works for you. But if you plan on distributing your work for others to use, the QB line is NOT the way to go these days. For simply monkeying around though, nothing beats QB.

FB may seem like all that and a bag of chips at first, but underneath its seemingly can-do-it-all attitude is an additional layer of difficulty. Sure, there's a lot it can do, but you also have to know how to do it. It's like going from BASIC to C...many will tell you that "ZOMG C IS TEH POEWRFULLEST" and maybe it is more powerful than BASIC...but to make use of that power, there's a steep learning curve you have to get over that has chewed up and spit out many a hopeful programmer. FB is similar...it is a powerful language, but to use its power, you have to tackle its learning curve. You CAN code in normal QB in FB of course, but you're not really getting the most out of it that way. FB also lacks an IDE by default, and that throws many people off from the very beginning, making them cower and go back to their trusted QB, which has a very comfortable, familiar IDE.

So both have their ups and downs. In my opinion though, the best route you can take is to snag a copy of FBIDE (0.4.3 is coming out very soon and it's great) and experiment. The learning curve is worth the time taken, and if you've got an extensive QB background, the adaptation may be strange at first but eventually you'll get the hang of it and you'll be going far beyond what you could accomplish in QB. :)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Yeah, Nek pretty much summed it up pretty well. Shorter version of what he said (Ill put it in a dicohtamus key (sp?))

#1 Are you programming in advanced 16 bit code? y=2, n=3
#2 Use QB
#3 Will other people need to use this? y=5, n=4
#4 Are you using XP, or does speed matter? y=5, n=2
#5 FB all the way!

And thats it...
Captainlazy

Post by Captainlazy »

about this whole qb not working in xp. err... what little i have done so far has worked as well as what i thought it would. having said that, i have downloaded a couple of things that simply did not work. I though it may have perhaps just been errors in the programming but maybe not. I suppose, although im gonna be making programs for my own benefit, i would like to be able to distribute as well, and i dont want to spend ages and ages programming, just to find out that it does not function properly.

Ok then, i will give this freebasic some attention. There must be plenty of tutorials out there, but does anyone have any suggestions of where to find a good one??
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Use QB tutorials.. you can use most of the old QB commands without change..

Only exception is the old 16bit commands, such as DEF SEG, and peeking/poking to locked memory, like the bios and/or video segment..

FB also adds a few very nifty enhancements, such as PUT being able to blend, BLOAD bmp files, BSAVE bmp files, etc..

The best online resource is the wiki over at www.freebasic.net
A few FAQs can be found there too
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Yeah, on freebasic.net's forums, there are a bunch of FB fanboys (I am around there every now and then) that would LOVE to help you.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

PQBC wrote:Plus, QB7.1 added a ton of useless 'INTEREST' functions. But, in my opinion, KIS. QB7.1 is the way to go. (waiting to be flamed) :lol:
Waiting to be flamed? Well here you go!Image
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

BTW, that's not for the QB stuff, it's for the Windows simulator...
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Kevin...
1. Where did you you get that smiley? lol...
2. Don't make me get into a huge Linux conversation again...
To save time , go to http://petesqbsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=861
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Don't worry, I won't...
Smiley: http://www.rel.betterwebber.com/images/fork.gif

I got it from Genso's Junkyard...