Malfucntion in CPU routines after inplentation

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

SebMcClouth
Veteran

Malfucntion in CPU routines after inplentation

Post by SebMcClouth »

I've inplented the CPU-routines by Hans Lunsing from the ABC packets in the qbinux core. The old version of the core (a library) worked just fine. But with the new stuff (modules) it gives the wrong processor.

The Type is located in qbinux.bi and the rest in a module file called setup.bas.

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

try asm
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

The code is asm...

grtz
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

It's harder to determine todays CPU types in a 16bit environment.
I have left this dump.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Yes I know, but the code has proved to work... just after inplenting... it states that my Laptop has a 486SX, and MSD tells me I have a 486DX, so did the code tell me before inplenting...

grtz
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

why not uploading it somewhere and seeing if it works for us?
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

As soon as I have the rest of the core along with it... you are free to try!!

grtz
Seb
Michael Calkins
Veteran

Post by Michael Calkins »

The main differene between an SX and DX is the FPU, right? maybe there are other differences... I read some stuff on the differences a while back, but forgot exactly.
You're code checks for a FPU?
Regards,
Michael
Bring on the Maulotaurs! oops...
I like to slay Disciples of D'Sparil...
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Yes it does. When the CPU-program runs stand-alone it detects my FPU...

oh btw SX and DX have nothing to do with an FPU... I had a 386DX which didn't have a FPU... I'll still have that processor sumwhere...

grtz
Seb
Michael Calkins
Veteran

Post by Michael Calkins »

oh btw SX and DX have nothing to do with an FPU... I had a 386DX which didn't have a FPU... I'll still have that processor sumwhere...
I am using as my information source an A+ Certification prep book.

As regards 386s, you are correct. The 80386DX (known as an 80386) was the better version. The 80386SX was a cheap version meant to be more affordable, and meant to be more adaptable to 16 bit architectures. The DX had a 32 bit external data bus, etc, and could access 4GB of physical memory. The SX was a 16 bit/32 bit hybrid. On the inside, the SX closely resembled the DX, but on the outside it differed. The SX had a 32 bit internal data bus, but a 16 bit external data bus, and a 24 bit address bus. While the SX can logically address 4GB, it can only access 16MB of physical memory. To software, it is completely compatible with the DX, but can be used on architectures designed for the 286.

But as regards the 486, the biggest difference is that the 80486DX (known as an 80486, has an internal FPU, but the 80486SX does not. An external 80487SX FPU can be added to most systems using the SX.

Hmm, I just noticed what you are saying. I missed it before. Your code works when used by itself, but not when used in your program... I didn't get that before.

Regards,
Michael
Bring on the Maulotaurs! oops...
I like to slay Disciples of D'Sparil...